1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why isn't my Linux disc working?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Leiki, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leiki

Leiki Thread Starter

I'm trying to install Linux (Ubuntu) on my Windows XP, but not without deleting Windows. I downloaded the ISO file from www.ubuntulinux.org and burned it to a CD successfully. I have also used Partition Magic to create a partition just for Linux.

Now, when you have a bootable CD inserted and you restart, isn't it supposed to say "Press any key to boot from CD..." or something like that? My computer just ignores it. So I went into the BIOS and changed the boot order to CD-ROM first. Nope, no luck.

I just want to ask a simple question...why? Why isn't this CD able to be booted?

Any help is appreciated.

2. Augie65

Augie65

Did you burn the ISO image as a CD (Create Disc Image), or did you just burn a data CD with the ISO file on it?
    Also make sure you use a CD-R and not a CD-RW disk.

3. Leiki

Leiki Thread Starter

Oh crap, there's the problem. I kept using a CD-RW all this time. Ah, well. Any way to load the ISO file from the computer rather than a CD to save some money? :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430529

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice