1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why microwave kill the wireless signal?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by salehhi62, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. salehhi62

salehhi62 Thread Starter

Why microwave kill the wireless signal?

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Because the RF emissions from a running microwave just so happens to overlap into the 2.4 GHz carrier frequency that b/g/n WiFi runs on. This is also why other wireless devices like cordless phones, baby monitors, etc will also affect your WiFi network. The only solution is to try to change the operating channel of your wireless AP or move to 802.11a.

3. salehhi62

salehhi62 Thread Starter

thank you my friend.
    and another question which i have is :
    how distance around microwave kill signal?
    and microwave really kill signal 100% or it's so so? and still network is established ?

4. zx10guy

It really depends on how your microwave is designed and the RF emissions patterns from it in relationship with the location of your AP and your wireless clients.

In my home network, my microwave doesn't screw with my wireless network but it does mess with a wireless A/V extender I use on occasion.

You'll have to experiment some with AP placement and channel selection to see if you can get around the microwave issue. If those options don't work, unfortunately, you'll have to move to 802.11a or roll the dice and see if a different model/brand microwave will make things better.

5. salehhi62

salehhi62 Thread Starter

Appreciate your help.:)

6. zx10guy

No problem. Good luck.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!