1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why should I use Vista? Why not upgrade to Linux?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by diablo75, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. diablo75

diablo75 Thread Starter

Why are you using Vista? Why not another OS like Ubuntu Linux?

If you'd like to see what Linux looks like THESE DAYS, take a gander at this eye candy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lawkc3jH3ws

Heh heh, you may resume your troubles installing Vista. Good luck.

2. belveder

belveder

wow, I had no idea you Linux looked like that, thought about going there myself but the idea of using commands for everything put me of, I like the click on an icon idea of Windows.

There is absolutely no reason to use Vista, well not at the moment anyway, especially if you use 3rd party programs for everything which most people do. If you want to use Vista it would probably be better to wait for 12 months for the 1st service pack and for all the software and games and drivers to catch up

3. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

As I remember it that XGL was a proof of concept on Linux not an actual distro... I could be wrong.

It really doesn't make since to go out and upgrade to Vista unless you buy a system with it preloaded.

As for support and drivers I haven't found anything I couldn't run yet, still running through some of the older games I don't actually play anymore, but everything I use I have up and running and I'm running the x64 version right now.

4. Compiler

Compiler

Notice, the "Task switching" abilities? Man that was fast... Its been a long time since I've seen this video.... THAT is something... not this "flipper' thingy.

Here are screen shots:
    http://forum.linux.org.ba/viewtopic.php?id=2469&p=3

Here is an article with clickable Hi-res screen shots of XGL:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/XGL-Returns-21048.shtml
    Notice the lack of the jaggie issues that Vista has.

Here, you can download and install XGL: http://kororaa.org
    (Of course, this doesn't run on any M$ OS)

Linux is deigned by people who love computers... windows is designed by sales/marketing/DRM and legal team to get the most out their customers.

Linux can be installed virtually for you to try out...

It would be nice if the software companies (Adobe, I think is all that is left) and of course GAMES... yep games, and some other key programs for Linux would help make more people drop M$.

What do people do mostly on their computers?
    1 - browse the web (Firefox 2 kick's IE in the nuts)
    2 - email (more webmail than actual clients, but theres plenty better than outlook express)
    3 - Office... Open Office is not quite M$-Office, but it DOES do over 90% of what people need. And ya don't get the Amazing Long Icon names: "Microsoft Office 2003 Word" So all you see on the desktop "microsoft Office..."

4 - Games... ouch... need more Linux games...

With Cross Over http://www.codeweavers.com - $40 - you can run MS Office 97~2003, Photoshop and others... but its still not "native" which corporations would want.

This is interesting... to save money and get more performance - Disney paid for the development of Photoshop on Linux: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1210083,00.asp

5. diablo75

diablo75 Thread Starter

6. Compiler

Compiler

Yeah, after I read the post - I find the WINE module that is made for running PC games games on Linucs - kickass!

But not sure how advance their 3D driver support is. Seriously, if NOVELL and IBM (both big Linux supporters) would FUND the makings of some key software and drivers (Printers/all in ones) - then Linux would really make some inroads into the home market (but I said this years ago) - that is how Mac got started, Apple paid companies to make software.

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

Yep . . and the guy they paid was some guy named Bill Gates . .

8. Compiler

Compiler

HEHE... yep... among others.

Even Amiga paid M$ for BASIC...

9. diablo75

diablo75 Thread Starter

I think that is actually happening right now... maybe, anyway. I'm not sure. There's been some controversy going on lately between the Free Software Foundation and Novell regarding their SUSE distro. They want to sell it... but I think they mean they want to sell added proprietary software or features...not the OS. Which is what RedHat is... but for some reason, I think they're trying to do something that would be bad...since Microsoft is getting involved with this Linux/Suse stuff.

I'll have to do some reading...but I can say that Microsoft just HAS to be getting nervous.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Hopefully eye candy is not the only criteria for choosing an operating system.

A lot of the choice of operating systems can also depend on the software you need. While there are an amazing amount of totally free programs available with Linux, there may be some critical ones for you where there is no replacement.

11. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Exactly!

and searching for emulators and WINE fixes and tweaks is only so much fun...

12. diablo75

diablo75 Thread Starter

Well, let's not talk about games and emulators for now. As there are thousands (tens of thousands, actually) of open source software titles out there that can do almost anything you would need, and they are NOT hard to find. In most cases, the come pre-installed with your disto of linux.

Take Firefox for example. Or Open Office. Or Thunderbird. These are open source, they're very popular, and they work as good (if not better) than their Microsoft equivalents. Installing software on a linux box is as simple as clicking "Add/Remove Software" in the applications menu. You then simply search for the kind of software you are looking for, either by type or by name or whatever, and Ta-Da! There it is. You select it to install the necessary packages, and that's it. No need to restart the PC. Just let it install, and new icons will be added to the applications menu as well as the desktop (if you want).

It's almost like going to www.download.com and doing a search for a piece of shareware software, except in this case, search and installation of the software is an integrated feature of the operating system, and so are automatic software updates. So please, don't try to give people the impression that installing software is difficult to do in Linux anymore. It used to be. And I'll admit that installing an emulator like WINE so you can run your Windows based games can be a bit of a challenge, but so can a $400 price tag for a piece of proprietary software that isn't as good as the money you spent on it. I'd rather spend one hour of reading and learning to avoid paying that kind of money to get what I want, instead of cower away like a fool who's just been convinced that they'd "never have what it takes" to run Linux.

If you use a computer to do basic, general, everyday things like internet browsing, e-mail, photo editing, then try Ubuntu linux. It's VERY easy (I would say the interface is very similar to a Mac's interface, and we all know how simple that OS is).

Goto www.ubuntu.com

Donwload the iso image for a CD (An ISO is a copy of a CD, bit for bit, that you burn onto a CD using software like Roxio Easy CD Creator or Nero Express, and you just "Burn image file" and select the ISO you downloaded).

Restart the PC with the Ubuntu CD in the drive, and feel free to try the OS out WITHOUT INSTALLING IT. The CD is a "Live CD". You can run the OS from it without any need to copy files to your hard drive.

Do it. Browse the web. Open a word document. It's much more simple than most people think. The bottom line in all of this is that it's FREE. And it WORKS!

13. ferrija1

ferrija1

I'll stay with MS/Mac because....

1. There is a lot more software/freeware for them.
    2. I don't care much for eye-candy.

14. diablo75

diablo75 Thread Starter

How do you know there is more software/freeware for MS/Mac than for Linux? Further yet, how many of those freeware software for Windows/Mac is worth their weight in code?

Also, if you didn't care much for eye candy, you'd be using DOS.

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yes for general things Linux can work quite well. Photo editing is very basic however.

Suspect the lack of use for DOS as an operating system of choice is also somewhat application driven. Not too may apps for DOS these days as compared to Windows.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice