1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why showing differently on othe client PCs?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by omuyelijah, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. omuyelijah

omuyelijah Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have this issue: am developing a weblication (PHP/MySQL) that is intended to run on some 6+ computers on a LAN. I have configured the LAN and have the server as one of the PCs while I can access the weblication from the other PCs, on a web browser very well.

Now, the issue is that at first install, it has been working well but l8r on, I noticed that on the other (client) PCs, a part of the UI built which I inevitably built (with HTML/CSS and a combination of my css rules in a file, some in-page css rules for different pages and also JQuery) appears differently from the way it should look on the server PC.

I have checked and am sure there are no conflicts in the css rules. I don't think it comes from there probably from the Apache 5 web server (may be there is a setting in http.conf that needs editing). I have reset the web browser IE8 several times and cleared cache but still to no avail.

Sorry am not providing any link or uploads.

2. sepala

sepala

If other computers have different browsers installed than the browser in the Main machine, then this could be because of a Browser Compatibility issue.

3. ehymel

ehymel

There is no such version of apache...

I would suggest checking the browser and browser version of all of the clients and compare to your development machine. Post the results here if needed, but different browsers are probably the culprit as suggested by sepala.

4. omuyelijah

Thanks for the contribution and insight.

4 the issue of the Apache Web-server, I meant Apache 2.2 not Apache 5. For the web browsers, I use MSIE 8 on all the PCs on the network. However, I will try a different web browser and observe what happens.

5. omuyelijah

Now,

I tried Mozilla Firefox, Opera and Google Chrome. Firefox had no issues with UI but was inexplicably slow for my liking. Only Google Chrome and Opera are consistent with their correct display of UI and responsiveness.

While I will continue to observe the browsers, the MSIE problem still continues as yet. It was not an immediate problem with MSIE cos it took some time (about 3-4 days) b4 this issue with MSIE started. Could it not prop up with the other browsers? Don't you think the caching setting on the web server might be contributing to this issue?

6. sepala

sepala

May be, but cannot exactly say. Anyway, I think, there may be a CSS code which is not suitable for IE, because this is most likely to be a browser compatibility issue as we mentioned before.

Cannot say. If there is no problem right now as you said, most probably there wont be any problem. But you have to check that out, because you said that IE issue wasn't an "Immediate" problem.

7. ehymel

ehymel

Doubtful. Do you have caching set up? It's not automatic, so it would take some work for you to implement it. In that case, you would certainly know if that were the problem.

8. sepala

sepala

Hi ehymel,
    I know you have more experience than me, so that's why I am asking this from you. In this case, don't you think there might be some kind of CSS code which is not suitable for IE?

9. ehymel

ehymel

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I am far from the most experienced person in these forums!

CSS does seem a likley problem given the latest description, though it's not clear why the problem showed up several days later. There must have been *some* change that prompted the problem.

A link to the site in question would be helpful. Without that, there's not much else to say or suggest.

10. sepala

sepala

Thanks for the reply ehymel.

Of course.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!