Why the emphasis on cooling

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bobbee

I have an hp i7-4700 with a few louvers on the side and one fan in the upper rear, it has been ok for 4 or 5 years now.
This is the same configuration I have had on my PCs since the 90s.

Now I am looking at new cases and the number of fans and other cooling devices is off the charts.
2 or 3 fans in the front, one in the back, a few more in the top.

It doesn't seem like the cpus are generating that much more heat, an i7 versus a Ryzen 7 etc

Is this all due to the new video gaming cards ?

It depends on the series of the CPU. Generally, a CPU with a 60 to 95 watt wont be that bad. When you go above that, some of those start a 125 watts....they tend to run hot and need better CPU cooling.

Then you add a high end GPU and then anything else that adds heat inside the case. The heat builds up inside the case. And every bit of cool air that can be pumped in helps tremendously for the longevity of the hardware. This is generally for a straight air cooled system

If you go with a liquid AIO for the CPU, then 2 front case fans and 1 rear fan is 'adequate" enough to move/circulate air through the case

crjdriver

The video card or cards can generate quite a bit of heat and if you overclock, that will also generate more heat.
IMO many modern cases have a lot of fans simply because people like looking at the RGB fans. Same thing with the tempered glass side cover; they want to see the lights.
As long as you are not overclocking, a single 120~140mm intake fan and the same size exhaust fan are more than enough.
I really dislike noisy systems and having five or six fans can make the system sound like a hair dryer :eek::eek:

The system I use most of the time has a corsair liquid cooler [2 very slow turning 140mm fans] and a single 140mm exhaust fan. It is silent unless running a game or a stress test then you can just barely hear the fans running.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online