1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Why this update?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by bxcfilm, Dec 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bxcfilm

bxcfilm Thread Starter

My printer is an HP Laserjet 2420d, and the installed driver is PCL6. For some time, Windows has been trying to update the PCL5 driver; not surprisingly it fails and puts up an error message.

How can I stop it trying to do this? Is there a trace of PCL5 somewhere on my PC?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J3060 @ 1.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 76 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3941 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 149 GB (98 GB Free); D: 780 GB (668 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., A_F_K20CE
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    It sounds like you have some update program or service that is running. Start by going into msconfig and checking to see if you have anything that looks like it might be an HP Update agent? Also check under process explorer. If you need help with any of this let me know

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If it proves not to be the HP Update agent and is in fact Microsoft`s driver update service via windows update the problem is likely caused by the 1709 Creators update not recognising the PCL6 driver

HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL6 (64-bit)
    Version:
    Release date:
    Sep 26, 2017
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-2400-printer-series/416419/model/412126
    This problem also tends to occur when there an update made by your from the HP site
    and the windows 10 system also tries to update it.

It is another example of the very bad decision IMHO for Windows 10 to have prevented the common sense solution that previously existed - simply click to check - do not allow Microsoft updates to install drivers
    That is no longer available on 10

If it does prove not to be the HP update agent there is a solution but it entails uninstalling ALL HP software and starting again
    Not really worth the effort if all is working OK

4. bobcat5536

bobcat5536

5. bxcfilm

bxcfilm Thread Starter

Many thanks for the suggestions. I couldn't see any HP services running, but I don't have time now to look into this properly - I will be away from home now until the New Year, and I will spend some time then.

6. Macboatmaster

7. bxcfilm

bxcfilm Thread Starter

Well, I'm back at home, and I installed the Universal Print Driver in place of the PCL6 driver. No problems so far.

8. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    If still OK after a couple of days please mark your topic solved - click the -mark solved- on your opening post

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1200900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice