1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why To use MSConfig to control startups?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by andyspeake, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andyspeake

andyspeake Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

Sometimes I see a lot of users using MSConfig to control startups.

Personally I never use it, as there may be risks involved and there is more suitable software designed specifically for that purpose...
    In the microsoft link it says:
    'The System Configuration utility helps you find problems with your Windows XP configuration. It does not manage the programs that run when Windows starts.'

I'm wondering what people think of that as I see quite a lot of people using that method

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    What Risks ????
    If you need something running at startup, and you've turned it off .... Just turn it back on.
    Personally, I have several programs that do not need to be started at Boot .. They'll start when I need them.

One program I start at boot .. Is a program that stops any program from adding itself to my Start list .. Without my permission.

3. andyspeake

andyspeake Thread Starter

Point 3 and 4 from the paragraph I quoted.

Yep I use winpatrol as well. Does the job nicely.

4. hewee

hewee

I used WinPatrol to take care of things.
    http://www.winpatrol.com/

It has the free and Plus version that is on sell right now at 50% off
    http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2010/03/winpatrol-plus-50-off-for-malware.html

So you can see many love and use the WinPatrol.
    Darn I have 2 copy's of WinPatrol Plus I got a short time back for 99 cents each.
    Had to give Bill something because he gave me the WinPatrol Plus years ago in a contest and later sent me one of his shirts for free for helping at his forum.
    I can't wait for the next version.

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I have used and recommended msconfig for years. Never had trouble because of it nor do I anticipate any.

Using Autoruns can be easier or safer for some. I use it and really like it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!