Why? Why? Why does my laptop quit?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jambonay

I have a 3.0 gig P4 laptop with radeon mobility 9600 128 meg video card & one gig of RAM running Win XPpro sp2. obviously quite a power hog.

It runs well when plugged into power adapter but sometimes it will just quit running under battery power. This happens during boot up usually after windows has started and parts of the desktop are visible. Charge state seems to be irrelevant One clue is that they only way to restart after it quits is to remove and reseat the battery which usually yields another reboot and quit but sometimes it will boot up normally and run fine until the battery runs down. I have tried cleaning the battery contacts and different power management settings but can find no consistant solution. The reseller that I bought it from (internet I-shop) is defunct and the other resellers of the same unit ( ECS G736) refuse to help me.

Any one out there who can help?

Thanks in advance

I would suspect that the battery has developed a high internal resistance and is unable to reliably maintain the high current draw of the 3 GHz P4 (which is a full desktop processor)

Such a battery problem will only show at maximum draw times, which is what you describe.

Realistically a new battery (or get the existing one repacked with new cells) would be the only fix in that case.

Jambonay

kiwiguy said:
I would suspect that the battery has developed a high internal resistance and is unable to reliably maintain the high current draw of the 3 GHz P4 (which is a full desktop processor)

Such a battery problem will only show at maximum draw times, which is what you describe.

Realistically a new battery (or get the existing one repacked with new cells) would be the only fix in that case.
is there a way to test for high internal resistence?
Also, who repacks the cells?

Thanks

Without specific test equipment designed to test, no easy way. You would destroy a normal multimeter in many cases.

As to who repacks cells, there are several places in New Zealand. Would you like their addresses, or do you live somewhere else perhaps....

Jambonay

kiwiguy said:
Without specific test equipment designed to test, no easy way. You would destroy a normal multimeter in many cases.

As to who repacks cells, there are several places in New Zealand. Would you like their addresses, or do you live somewhere else perhaps....
You all down in NZ are a little more enlightened about sort of thing than we are here in the states although if you have any names in the states I would surely try them. I wonder if could do it myself? I'm not unfamiliar with a soldering iron, capacitor, diode or what have you. Is it something too arcane for a non-professional technician. They are Lithium-ion cells by the way.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
The Batteries Plus stores around here (Las Vegas) do that.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online