1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why won't my computer and printer play nice?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thebillpayor, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thebillpayor

thebillpayor Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Preario Notebook with Windows XP Home, an HP Photosmart 3210 All-in-one device, and AOL 9.0. I have almost 1.5 G memory installed. Since 11/30/06, I can't seem to get my system to support my All-in-One. I get a specific message that says, "Cannot find hardware for HP...; the printer driver is unknown". I have spent hours troubleshooting, through HP.com, through Windows, and over the phone support from HP. I have made three attempts to disable configuration services and startups, uninstall and reinstall the HP software all with success...until I have to re-enable the configuration services and startups and reboot the computer. Then, the printer does not appear in the printer/faxes window, and I am no longer able to either print nor scan.

It has been suggested to me that this may be related to the presence of AOL. Previously I had installed AOL Safety & Security, but promptly uninstalled it after other programs on my computer started doing goofy stuff. I also have Spy Sweeper and Norton Internet Security 2007; I disable the anti-virus protection during the duration of the uninstall and reinstallations.

So...any ideas? This stopped being fun for me about 6 weeks ago...I'm ready to have this resolved once and for all...

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Try this:

Disconnect the printer . . reboot . . connect the printer . . does Windows recognize the "New Hardware" ?

3. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Start -> Control Panel -> Device Manager ->
    Please check under Device manager that both the USB root devices and the USB printer are seen here.

Then if you'll bare with us...

Unistall the printer driver here in Device manager,
    Go to add remove programs
    remove the HP software completely and reboot.

Then install this http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=439488&os=228&lang=en
    Its big and the full thing

Then try this patch for good measure http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=439488&os=228&lang=en

I realize HP probably had you do this or something close but its nice to know all the bases are covered and in the right order.

Post back when you've done this and we'll see where else we can go.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you have it connected to your LAN or directly to your computer via the USB connection? Are you sure that you are following the correct procedure for whichever connection you are using? And, just because I'm nosy--if you are using USB why did you spend extra for a network ready unit?

What services and startups are you talking about in "re-enable the configuration services and startups"? Are you saying that you initially can print but then after doing the "re-enable" and restart you lose the all-in-one?

If you have the all-in-one on the network it's probably Norton's firewall, not the anti-virus, that causes problems.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What happened on 11/30/06? Is that when you installed IE7? I ask because apparently IE7 has caused some problems with HP all-in-ones. I thought the problems were only that the HP Director wouldn't work. When my HP Director stopped working I didn't know HP had a patch so I just deleted the Director and have other ways of scanning and stuff.

6. thebillpayor

thebillpayor Thread Starter

Re: the continued feud between computer and printer (HP Photosmart 3200 All-in-One). I went into Device Manager and located USB root, but not USP Printer...so I'm kind of stuck from the getgo here.

On 11/30/06 I installed AOL Safety and Security because I experienced a sudden dropoff in the protection of my Norton product (this has been subsequently resolved; Norton's working fine again and AOL S&S has been uninstalled and removed from what I've been doing). IE 7 I only updated maybe 2-3 weeks ago; the issues with the All-in-one started long before that.

I also cannot get to HP Director from "All Programs" as was recommended.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice