1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why won't my computer download anything

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by magen1022, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. magen1022

magen1022 Thread Starter

My computer will not download anything...The download window pops up and I select run, then it shows me the download progress, but nothing else happens...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

2. milmaker

milmaker

What browser are you using? Try clicking save instead of run, then check in the downloads folder for your download.

3. magen1022

magen1022 Thread Starter

I am using IE 8...and I have tried saving the downloads and opening them...there isn't anything there...goes through all the steps to save and shows download progress as well...but Nothing!

4. milmaker

milmaker

To better diagnose your problem, and try to isolate the cause of the problem, please download and install an alternative browser. Then try downloading or running something to see if it works. If it does, then it will be safe to say that it is an IE8 issue, and we can go from there. I recommend firefox, but there is also Opera, Safari, and several other good browsers. You might even find you like these alternative browsers better than IE. I know I sure do :D

5. magen1022

magen1022 Thread Starter

Ok...tried that and same old thing...shows downloading progress, then nothing...even tried saving it as you suggested and nothing in my downloads folder?? Any ideas?

6. milmaker

milmaker

Are you using any type of firewall? If so, try disabling it, and then try downloading again. Also, check the download path. In firefox you can do this by going to the top toolbar and clicking tools --> options -->In the dialog box you'll see Downloads, and under that you'll be able to see an option that says: save to, and a browse button. What directory is it saving the documents to?

7. magen1022

magen1022 Thread Starter

It is saving everything into the downloads folder

8. milmaker

milmaker

What about the firewall? Are you using one, and if so disable it, and try downloading.

9. magen1022

magen1022 Thread Starter

the only thing that i am using is windows defender and AVG free...and I have tried disabling both of them...still nothing...I have also ran virus scans, and it is coming up with nothing. I am really confused...lol

10. milmaker

milmaker

Have you tried downloading files other than the one you were trying to download in the first place? Sorry for all of the questions, I just haven't come across the error before.

11. magen1022

magen1022 Thread Starter

Oh yeah...I've tried downloading everything from drivers to games...still the same old song and dance...dont worry about the questions...ask away...if your trying to help, i dont mind answering!

12. milmaker

milmaker

Check your temp folder for the files:

1.) Go to the start menu
    2.) In the search bar type: %temp%
    3.) click the temp folder

Are the files showing up there?

13. milmaker

milmaker

14. magen1022

magen1022 Thread Starter

No...I dont think that they are there. There are several files there, but I dont have a clue as to what they are.

15. milmaker

milmaker

How long have you been experiencing this issue? Try running a system restore to a point before you were experiencing this issue. System Restore is probably the best Windows Vista feature there is.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/848224