1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why won't my computer let me install other web browsers?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by C3Yaoihunter, Aug 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. C3Yaoihunter

C3Yaoihunter Thread Starter

I get so fed up with using internet explorer sometimes, that I decided to try and install other web browsers such as google chrome, firefox, and even opera. The problem is that when each of these browsers were finished downloading, none of them were able to launch because according to my computer: “Your computer has insufficient resources available or because some files are locked by other applications”. In the case of google chrome it said: “An operating system error occurred during installation. Please download Google Chrome again.” However, I checked the list of programs that were on my computer and Google Chrome was one of them, but I couldn’t remove it because it said: “You do not have sufficient access to uninstall Google Chrome.” And as for Mozilla Firefox, I uninstalled it since it never worked to begin with. When it was on my desktop, I double-clicked to launch but nothing would happen. I use an HP Pavilion Entertainment PC that operates on Windows 7 and my current web browser is internet explorer, so if that info helps, I’d like to know what’s preventing me from installing new web browsers on my computer and what I can do to fix it.

2. Firebreather

Firebreather

Do you have sufficient space in your C: drive (or whichever drive you are trying to install the browsers in)?

3. Ent

Ent Josiah Trusted Advisor

Also, are you giving the system the required permissions to install?

Make sure that you right click the installer and Choose Run as Administrator, don't simply double click.

4. Koot

Koot

You said that when you attempted to install Google Chrome it said; “You do not have sufficient access to uninstall Google Chrome.” This makes me wonder if you have Administrator permission to install (or uninstall) it.

5. C3Yaoihunter

I have 175GB of free space left in my C-drive. I didn't realize that browsers had to be installed to certain drives. How would I go about installing a new browser in my C-drive?

6. C3Yaoihunter

How do I get the right permission to give to my system? And which installer do I click to "Run as Administrator"?

7. C3Yaoihunter

Someone said that I need to run the installers as an administrator: "save the installer package and don't just run it from the IE dialog box, then once it's downloaded, right click on the downloaded installer package and click "run as administrator"." Anyone know how I would go about doing this? Where would I need to begin?

8. tomdkat

tomdkat Trusted Advisor

That's a good observation but he would have been prompted for the Admin account info when he tried to install any of the browsers. What caught my eye were the messages about "insufficient resources" and about files being locked by another application. That makes me suspect an infection of some kind.

C3Yaoihunter, what anti-virus and anti-spyware/anti-malware software do you use and when is the last time you updated it and scanned your system? I'm thinking you have an infection of some kind interfering with the installation of the other browsers.

Peace...

9. Koot

Koot

I believe Google Chrome will only download and install to your C drive - you don't have a choice...without going through some effort to install it on another drive. Nevertheless, Google Chrome should be installed on your C drive. It's probably only 150MB in size anyway after you fully set it up to your liking.

Have you tried downloading Chrome from the Google Chrome website, instead of downloading it from one of the many sites that offer a Google Chrome download?

10. Koot

Koot

11. Koot

Koot

Once Google Chrome is downloaded to your PC you can then Install it by clicking on the new Chrome icon which should be on your desktop (I believe). If you download Google Chrome and cannot find the installer, just click on Start and Search and type in 'Chrome' or 'Google Chrome' and your PC should find where the installer is located on your PC.

12. Koot

Koot

You may be right, but I suspect the Chrome installer was downloaded somewhere (some folder/file location) that he can't easily find it. I'm guessing if he searched for it he might find the installer ready to be run. But...

13. C3Yaoihunter

I have AVG Free Anti-Virus protection. It protects against viruses, spyware, malware, trojans, et. It regularly scans my computer for infections (I believe on a daily basis), and lists the amount and type of infections, if any. So far, it indicates that my computer does not contain any infection.

14. C3Yaoihunter

Well actually I did some exploring on my computer. I went to the computers' "Local Disk"(or C-drive, as it's also known), I opened it and then went to "Program Files (x86)", I clicked the "Google File" and then clicked "Chrome". Then I clicked "Application" and inside that was the file "9.0.597.98". I clicked this file and inside it was the "Installer" file. I double clicked it and then I found "Setup". It was this file that I right clicked and selected "Run as Administrator". Then a gray/blue box appeared asking me if I wanted to continue, which I then selected "continue". After that the box disappeared and nothing seemed to happen. What now?

15. C3Yaoihunter

I went to my computers' Local Disk (C-drive) and did a lot of exploring through a bunch of files and folders. Eventually I found the "Chrome" file and the "Installer". I double-clicked the "Installer" file since it did not display the "Run as Administator" option. However, the Installer did contain the "Setup" file and it was under this file that I selected the "Run as Administrator" option. After that I clicked "continue" from the box that appeared; it disappeared after I clicked continue and now I'm wondering what to do next.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1010714