Why won't my computer stay cool??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Andy Booth

Im having lots of problems keeping my computer cool.
Here are my specs:
P4 3.0ghz
80gb HDD
1gig RAM
Ati Radeon 9600XT
Soundblaster Live! 24bit

In my case I have 2 fans on the back pulling out, one on the top pulling out and one on the side pushing in. All fans are 80mm

When im idle my System temp is around 40C, and CPU at 55C, but when I play games the System temp is at 44C and the CPU at 60C. This is too hot for me. Im looking for a solution that would cost me less than £50 if possible. Anyone recommend anything for me? Im thinking new case which has good airflow and some decent fans maybe? Please link me to any items if possible :p

Thanks

Andy Booth

Andy Booth

Anything for the case guys? Links in england would be useful too cos I can't order from newegg :p.

Thanks alot :)

Andy

Andy, I tend to agree with moneto. You've got four fans, counting the power supply, pulling air out but only one supplying fresh cooler air. They need to be evened out for a good crossflow of air.

Andy Booth

I used to have one at the front, but my case was infact hotter. My case is abit crap, and the air intake at the front is compltetly coverd by the fancy case, there is one small slot on the bottom for air to be sucked in when a fan is there :(

One more thing I might suggest is that you reapply thermal compound, preferrably Arctic Silver.

"The surface of a CPU or a heatsink is never entirely flat; if you place a heatsink directly on a CPU, there will be tiny (invisible) gaps between the two. Since air conducts heat poorly, these gaps have a very negative effect on the heat transfer. Therefore, an interface material with a high thermal conductivity is needed to fill these gaps, and thus improve heat conductivity between CPU and heatsink."

Andy Booth

According to the Intel website, my CPU temps are high, but not overly hot. My system ones on the other hand are very high they say.

IMO, a system temp of 40C is pretty high. Try relocating your case fans, to try and create better airflow. You shouldn't have more intake fans than exhaust fans, as I've learned. A computer sitting in an isolated space (e.g Older computer desks ;)) isn't ideal for a cooler system.

Andy Booth

I've tried it all already, I started out with one on the front sucking in, one on the side sucking in, one on top sucking out and and one on the back sucking out. It was getting constantly overheated, so I decided to have them all blowing in which made it worse (Silly i know hehe). Then i put it to what I said in my first post and still the problems persist. I've also had my PC open and cleaned out all the dust with a can of compressed air, and re-routed the wires so they wernt messing with the airflow. I think its something to do with my case, its a £12 case ($20ish) and its got all fancy flashing lights on it :).

try removing the side of the case then check the temps, if they stay the same you need to reapply some temp paste on the processor/heatsink.

Andy Booth

Its cooler with the side off, but I don't want to run it so, as it will get full of dust and bugs :s

Couriant

James
Andy Booth said:
Its cooler with the side off, but I don't want to run it so, as it will get full of dust and bugs :s
That's what usually happens anyways :D

Computer Exchange usually has PC parts cheap (yes they are in the UK :)). But I would also reapply the themal paste.

if you don't have a front area for a fan, maybe you should get a new case. But they are right though. 3 outs vs. 1 in is not a good idea.

if you have a small mid size case, temps would be higher, a larger case would drop your temps significantly, like a server case, would allow more heat spread, I use a server case & my temps stay around 85 case, 109 cpu.
good luck!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online