1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why won't my disc drive eject?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by canox, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. canox

canox Thread Starter

Hopin' i can get a quick fix, but i doubt it.

My problem is simple, i press the button to eject the DVD/CD-ROM Drive and it doesn't come out. There's a green light on the front below the disc drive to let you know when the disc drive is in use.The light comes on when you push the button but nothing happens. Also if i go into my computer and locate the disc drive there and choose eject from there, ill eventually get an error message . This just started today when i got home. It worked the day before because i burnt a CD.

Here's my specs just in case there needed:
    -Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
    -Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    -System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
    -System Model: GX612AA-ABA m8330f
    -BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    -Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
    -Memory: 3070MB RAM
    -Page File: 1184MB used, 5167MB available
    -Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    -DirectX Version: DirectX 10

And some info for the DVD/CD-ROM Drive giving me problems..

-Drive: F:
    -Model: ATAPI DVD A DH16A3L SCSI CdRom Device
    -Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 6.00.6001.18000 (English), 1/18/2008 23:49:51, 67072 bytes

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.:)

2. NeoNMD

NeoNMD

Disk drives are pretty much independant of the OS in terms of simply opening the tray.
    Maybe its just jammed or the gear/rubber band slipped off.
    Does it sound like its trying to open? It usually makes a whirr.
    Some have a little lock so you cannot open it while the disk is spinning but most have a tiny hole to poke when you need to emergency eject. Try poking the hole on the front or gently pulling the tray forwards after you push the button. My grandad's computer needs nothing short of a crowbar to get the damn disk open but for the sake of your drive wait till someone here comes up with a better idea than my "brute force" method.

3. canox

canox Thread Starter

It does sound as if its attempting to open, but this is a fairly new computer that i dont wanna ruin just yet...haha

4. NeoNMD

NeoNMD

I'd say its a jam. DVD drives are basically foolproof when it comes to drivers or the os.
    It sounds pretty dumb but try a needle/paperclip in the tiny front hole to eject. If that doenst work then your tray is jammed. simple as that.

5. canox

canox Thread Starter

Yea...im gonna say its jammed...any suggestions other than just tryin to unjam it with a paperclip. Is it good to try an pry it open, will it ruin it? Or am i going to need to buy a new drive because this ones jammed?

6. NeoNMD

NeoNMD

dont pry it open unless you have to as some have a locking mechanism like i mentioned earlier. That little hole in the front is designed to pop it open with a paperclip if you put enough pressure on the lever inside the hole.

7. stueycaster

stueycaster

On my old TDK drive I push a paper clip through the hole. This pushes open a lock that unlocks the tray. Then I can pull the tray open. I'd shut off the computer before you did it though.

8. frankjohn

frankjohn

If the pblm: still remains replace the drive.They are very cheap .

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is there a disc in the drive? If no then pushing a paperclip nto the small hole and pulling the tray open really won't do any damage. If you can't open it that way then a little disassembly would probably be needed. If there is no disc in the drive, and the system is under warranty and pushing a paperclip into the hole doesnt open it, I would suggest exercizing your warranty.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/799838

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice