Why won't my new AMD 1.4GHz TBIRD run at 1.4GHz

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BW462

I built a new computer and used the AMD 1.4GHz tbird on an ECS K7S5A motherboard. I am using 512MB DDR memory and running win/98se. When I boot up it only runs at 1050MHZ. I have tried to set the prossecor and multiplyers to get 1400MHz but only result in crashes or the dreaded blue screen. What can I do to get this thing running at the right speed?

The multiplier is 10.5
The bus speed should be 133

Try running only one stick of memory, is your memory approved by the mobo vendor, they had a pretty short list.

Few gentlemen as of late have had the same trouble and narrowed it down to the memory type they where running, new memory seemed to correct the problem. although this was a different brand motherboard.

Max19

Account Disabled
A couple of my co-workers purchased Athlon 1.4GHz processors but they were actually remarked and overclocked 1.0GHz processors.

BW462

I am using 2*256MB pc2100 ddr memory modules. Since I have posted the last message I have Ironed out several software driver issues that might have been causing some of the problem. I set the cpu to 133MHz and am running at 1.4GHz now, so far so good, no crashes. Another question though, What is the normal temp. of the cpu and overall system suppost to run at? I have trouble with one game crashing alot and wonder if I have cooling problems. Thanks a whole lot for your help.

Not sure on the exact numbers for that chip and system but anything under 40c should be fine. Amd specs them at 70 max but they probably don't run to well that hot.

My Intel chip will start giving me grief if I get up around 45c from too much overclocking.

Done alot of reading lately after building an Athlon 1.33ghz system. I am using a Thermaltake MiniOrb heatsink with 2 fans built internally. My system runs about 48-52 C depending on the house air temp. When running games for 1+hours, the temp show between 56-60 C. That seems to be about what many people experience unless they go to very large heat sinks. The reading seems to sugest that anyting over 65 C may start causing problems.

BW462

I must have a cooling problem since I am running at 74C(165F) I am going to install a case fan and try to cool this thing off some. Thanks for your help. Any other advice? Also where can I download a program that alows me to view cpu temp. from windows? Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online