1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why won't video play smoothly when saved on laptop Internal HDD?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by DanielMP, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DanielMP

DanielMP Thread Starter

I've got a Toshiba Satellite T130-13L running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, 4gb Ram, Genuine Intel(R) CPU U4100 @ 1.30GHz 1.30GHz

Graphics: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile

The problem I have is that videos I have downloaded from online and saved to either my C or D drive will not play smoothly on any media player I try (using latest versions of VLC and Windows Media Player, with most up to date codecs available), it will play for a few seconds, then stop, then play again. Almost as if I was buffering an online video. Yet, when I copy the exact same file onto my Corsair 16gb USB stick, or my Weternal Digital Elements 1TB external hard drive, the video plays fine.

Really stuck here, I have tried looking everywhere for help. Does anyone have any ideas as to what to do?

Thanks

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Where were they downloaded from?They might have some kind of a copywrite protection on them thats preventing them from playing correctly.

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If that were the case, they wouldn't play from any source.

@OP - fragmented HDD and/or busy HDD?

4. DanielMP

DanielMP Thread Starter

I used the chkdsk /f command and it has improved the problem but it still hasn't totally went away, I'll try defragmenting the disk. Thanks

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

Try running chkdsk /r to check for bad sectors. If it finds any then run the manufacturers diagnostics to get a clear report on the drives condition. Defrag should not be needed with Windows 7 as it automatically defrags.

6. DanielMP

DanielMP Thread Starter

Ram never goes above 52% and CPU never goes higher than 33% when playing video.

Chkdsk /r returned "The volume is clean", should I try running the manufactures diagnostics anyway or will it make no difference?

7. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    You can run the drive manufacturers disk tools. That will verify if there is a hardware issue with the drive.

Abut it merely sounds like the HDD is in use, heavily fragmented, or there is a controller/driver issue resulting in slow access speeds.

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

Go here, enter your OS and then download the Storage Manager and install it. See if that helps.

9. DanielMP

DanielMP Thread Starter

Disk wasnt de-fragged, I ran plenty of defrags. Storage manager claimed the hardware was fine, although I'm starting to doubt that.

Just after installing windows 8 developer edition. Problem still persists. Although with the new task manager I've seen that disk use will reach 100% quite often, yet it lists the applications I'm running as using 0%, is this a bug in the unfinished OS or is something accessing/running my disk that can't be seen?

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

Your opening post says you have Windows 7 Home Premium. Now, you have Windows 8.

Windows 8 is still being developed and the edition you have is "pre beta" so will probably have many unresolved bugs.

To proceed with the original problem you will have to go back to Windows 7 as I doubt anyone here can help with Windows 8 issues. On reflection, as the heavy disc use is still occuring this is suggesting a problem with the drive and I would advise you to run the manufacturer's diagnostics and post back the result.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1021262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice