1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Why wont XP just see the new hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flipflam, Nov 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flipflam

flipflam Thread Starter

After I installed windows xp update packet#1 I uninstalled it to see if it was the cit ause of a music software glitch. But thereafter windows doesnt detect the external controller when I boot up or when I use the new hardware wizard.

I completed removed all drivers for the Midiman controller keyboard so why won't XP detect it so i can setup the drivers to use it again?

Any help would be really appreciated!

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

3. flipflam

flipflam Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip ...but what are Ghosted devices? I deleted the drivers from the Device manager, checked both sound controllers and USB devices and checked under my C-drive and used a midifix scrubber from the manufacturer, Midiman. I then went in a 2nd time in Safe-Mode. I have a separate USB Mic Preamp that is the same maker as the controller keyboard that works as an external soundcard. Should I uninstall that too?

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

ghosted devices are things such as usb devices not presently plugged into the computer that windows keeps drivers for.

if you do the procedure outlined in the above link and go back into device manager, you may see duplicate copies of the devices you just removed.

5. flipflam

flipflam Thread Starter

I have navigated the chamber of hidden devices and uninstalled 2 suspect drivers that showed as not functioning properly under non plugandplay devices. I'm surprised that XP still won't see the hardware device as new. Thanks anyway however for the info you provided. I'm going to look at it again and check the registry.

6. flipflam

flipflam Thread Starter

I checked the registry for USB and could not find the Manufacturer name for the device so I think it's clear. Guess I'll keep looking......

7. flipflam

flipflam Thread Starter

Someone suggested that my problem would be solved quicker if I just install XP a 2nd time over my current XP, keeping my current account name. If a file is corrupt I'm wondering if now that I deleted all the device drivers I could find whether I'll ever get rid of the ghost. Is this a good answer or should I be afraid, very afraid of what's behind door number 2?

I'm beginning to suspect that it's much better to have your XP, then your XP update Packet, then your software add-ons.

8. Jtoast

Jtoast

If you install xp inside itself it doesnt recreate your registry and keeps all your devices and settings. This means the ghost may still be there when your done.

wont hurt to try though.

9. flipflam

flipflam Thread Starter

I'm hoping that if I reload XP and that overwrites any corrupt file that the ghost was imaginary. (knock on virtual wood).

10. Jtoast

Jtoast

the problem is that the device listings are stored in the registry........it may work...it may not.

have you tried to delete it and then run the add new hardware wizard?

and have you uninstalled all the entries it put in add/remove progrms?

11. flipflam

flipflam Thread Starter

Yep, I did and even had a the shop that I bought the keyboard at double check it. The company, midiman, sent me a fixi-it program that was supposed to remove it too (so I guess this resuidual stuff has happened before!). Considering that it only takes 3 hours (ihope) to load in XP, and since the system is only a month old, I'm nearly decided to start off fresh wiith completely new XP load, add the critical update#1 then load my pet programs. Then never never never load another update. I'm also a little disappointed with the limitations of the restore feature on XP.

Hope you have some great holidays!

Flipflam

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/105651

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice