1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wi-Fi and IE7

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by RCook, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RCook

RCook Thread Starter

I have installed a wi-fi card for mobile use on laptop running IE7 and [email protected] I can establish connections ok but cannot get IE7 to log on to it. How do I configure for free Wi-Fi?

Also I did it once and now that connection has hijacked IE7 homepage and I cannot remove it.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Free public hotspots may make you register through their web page(s), but I never heard of a legitimate one hijacking your home page. I suggest you ask a moderator (click on the red triangle) to move this to the security forum and post a HiJackThis log for the experts there to ponder. I suspect you picked up some malware.

3. RCook

RCook Thread Starter

Thanks - But how do I set up IE7?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's nothing to setup in IE 7. It's a browser. You have to configure your wireless card to connect to a network. If you leave everything at defaults, it should connect just fine to free public hotspots.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "But how do I set up IE7?"

Set up IE7 for what? Maybe you are asking the wrong question. To connect to a free Wi-Fi hot spot means when your wireless utility detects wireless network(s) you make a few mouse clicks to connect to it. If your utility is still set to the default to 'connect to any' (a dangerous practice!) it will connect automatically w/o your intervention.

Of course, the above will not happen if the integrated wireless adapter is turned off, or if the connection is disabled.

If you knew all that, I again apologise for not (yet) understanding your issue with IE7. Please try again to get through my muddled brain. Or maybe somebody else can help much more than I on this.

6. RCook

RCook Thread Starter

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something. I want to browse the www and got myself a Wi-Fi card to do that on the move. I can get onto a hot-spot but I can't browse the www without IE7. So how do I connect IE7 through the Wi-Fi link to the hot spot to browse? Apologies if I am seeing naive or missing a trick.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are these free hotspots? Not all are. They'll let you connect, but you have to pay a fee to use them.

There is nothing to configure in IE (any version). Once you're connected and authenticated on the network, you can browse the web.

I don't have IE 7, so I can't give you the specifics, but perhaps you've got some sort of proxy server enabled.

More likely, your actual network card configuration settings are not set up properly. I don't see that this problem has anything to do with the browser.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I ditto DoubleHelix. The following talks about "your router" but ignore that term; it will work for any connection to determine whether you are actually connected to a "gateway" to the internet, and whether you can communicate with the internet. If the following 3 tests work, then you do have a problem with browsing--see DoubleHelix's post. If the first test fails, you are not really connected.

First determine if the problem PC is really communicating with the router when it claims to be connected.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address and router's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig /all

The "Gateway" is the router's IP address.

Now for some troubleshooting. Following is how to use ping to test for communication with your router, the internet, and the internet with symbolic name.

1. On the PC open a Command window and type
    ping IProuter (where IProuter is the IP address of the router)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

IF you got replies,
    2. ping 66.94.234.13 (or any other internet address you know)

If you got replies,
    3. ping www.yahoo.com (or any other internet name)

9. RCook

RCook Thread Starter

Thanks - Working round it a bit it seems that with my home page being hijacked that is causing me to think IE is not connected. Will post a thread to see if can sort out that problem.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, does that mean that you are getting connected? If so, please mark this 'solved' using the Thread Tools in the upper right.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice