1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wi-Fi and iPhone

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lancaster51, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lancaster51

lancaster51 Thread Starter

Netgear Gateway
    found password to get into 192.168..0.1 but now need to unlock the padlock on iPhone. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks a bunch!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Not nearly enough information to help. Are you trying to connect the iPhone to the router wirelessly using WiFi?

3. lancaster51

Yes, that probably is what would work. The router supports 3 computers. My Mac, my fiance' has his Toshiba on the network and I would like to use my network for a wireless supply for my iPhone while I am home.

Thanks for your reply!
    lancaster51

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is "the padlock on iPhone"?

Can you detect your wireless network with the iPhone? If so, what happens when you try to connect?

5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If it is anything like my Touch, it's the PIN/Passcode you need to enter to unlock the phone.

6. FrustratedWithPC

FrustratedWithPC

I had an iPhone issue connecting to my home wi-fi (ATT on an HP laptop). Entering the IP address into the address bar (I forget what domain name followed) and selecting Home Network > Configure Home network, I found this:

Wireless Security Enable
    Wireless Network Security
    Authentication: WEP-Open WEP-Shared WPA-PSK WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK WPA2-PSK
    Use default encryption key
    On the iPhone I had to manually setup the wi-fi connection (it would not work simply by following the prompts for the same network when the iPhone "discovered" the network).

On the iPhone:

Settings > Wi-fi > Choose a network > Other > enter the name of your network (in my case it is 2WIRE227) > enter the security type (in my case, as listed above, it is WEP) > and enter the encryption key from your wireless modem for the password (as in my case where I had it set up for the authetication to use this default encryption key).

And viola, I finally have wi-fi on my stinkin' iPhone.

I hope this helps,
    Tiffany

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Why does the router only support 3 computers? Sounds like a router configuration problem.

8. lancaster51

Thanks to everyone for your help! I finally talked to my ISP, they do not supply my wireless phone service, so all they would help me with was the security Key, password and address of the gateway router modem they own. After that, I just entered the info myself and it is working like a charm. And, faster than the "edge" from AT&T! Wish I had 3G in these "boonies".

Lancaster51

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!