Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wi-Fi connection extremely slow

2K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
Hi all!
I've just bought myself a new Acer Aspire A515-55 but I seem to be having some serious internet speed issues and need some help in trying to sort it out. When connected to my home wifi, on the new laptop I am hardly reaching 5mbps internet download speeds with an average of about 2mbps download (0.7 Upload). As you can imagine, for a brand new laptop, this is a little bit concerning. When opening up the Network connection settings, only my IPv4 has internet access with my IPv6 with "no network access". on the same tab, the wifi speed is registering at around 550mbps which is why I am extremely confused as to why I am getting such slow internet.
All other devices connected to the same Network (and 5Ghz band) are getting around 20- 30 Mbps download and the problem persists even when there are no other devices connected.
Any and all assistance / tips would be greatly apprecieated!

For reference:
Wifi band: 5GHz
Laptop Specs: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz 1.50 GHz
Network Adapter (I think): Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6AX201 160 MHz

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you installed the latest wireless driver from Acer's web site?

What, if any, security programs are you using other than Windows' firewall and Windows Defender?

What download/upload speeds do you get with an ethernet connection?

#3 ·
Have you installed the latest wireless driver from Acer's website?

What, if any, security programs are you using other than Windows' firewall and Windows Defender?

What download/upload speeds do you get with an ethernet connection?
Hi Terry, thanks for getting back so quick,

Yes, I have installed the latest driver from Acer.

I currently have Norton Security Running but I have also tried speed tests with it disabled with no change in speed. (However, I will be switching providers within the next few weeks)

Download on an Ethernet Cable is 56+ Mbps and upload is around 16mbps (see the attached photo)

Font Rectangle Screenshot Electronic device Software

#4 ·
Download of about 56 Mbps with ethernet; Wi-Fi 20 - 30 on other devices, and 2 with the new Acer.

Sounds like a problem with your wireless (unless still using 802.11g) and maybe additional problem with the Acer.

For the Wi-Fi in general if you are testing about 5 - 20 feet from the router with no obstacles then probably there is serious interference (usually) from another wireless network) or the router is failing.

For the Acer my top suspect is Norton. If the culprit is Norton disabling it often does no good. The only way to check (and fix) is to uninstall it and run the Norton Removal Tool and restart the system.

#8 ·
Double check your wireless driver. If you have Windows 10 remember that Windows loves to "update" drivers.

You haven't responded to my Norton comments (post # 4).

And, of course, double check your fix (post # 5).

#9 ·
Yep, all drivers are up-to-date completely.
I have since uninstalled Norton to switch to my current antivirus provider Mcafee (but I have tested the wifi with both AntiVirus providers installed and Uninstalled with no change to the wifi speed.
I've also double-checked that my fix mentioned in Post 5 is still in place and it is.
I have also since restarted and reset the router and my other devices (laptops and phones) are now hitting 55+ Mbps on a steady basis whilst the new laptop seems to peak at 10 -15 (better than before, but still frustrating as I should be getting much more).

#10 ·
Yep, all drivers are up-to-date completely.
The main point is whether the wireless driver is the correct one.

Do you have some special technique for checking all drivers, or do you just mean that Windows says that?

current antivirus provider Mcafee
McAfee is just as good as Norton at messing with networking and getting corrupted with Windows updates.

#13 ·
If you are in the US, bookmark this page
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8192?b=1

You can see your hardware. Only download drivers from this page.
There are 3 drivers listed.
Font Material property Rectangle Technology Screenshot

Two versions of Intel and one Atheros.

You would either use the newest Intel or the Atheros. You have to be 100% positive which one you have.

Go here
put in your SNID (turn the laptop over and look at the Acer label)
Once you do that, you will see your hardware.
Print out a copy so you know what is inside the laptop.

#14 ·
If you are in the US, bookmark this page

You can see your hardware. Only download drivers from this page.
There are 3 drivers listed.
View attachment 286065
Two versions of Intel and one Atheros.

You would either use the newest Intel or the Atheros. You have to be 100% positive which one you have.

Go here
put in your SNID (turn the laptop over and look at the Acer label)
Once you do that, you will see your hardware.
Print out a copy so you know what is inside the laptop.
The latest wireless driver from Acer's website (because you are using the integrated wireless adapter in an Acer laptop).
The only Driver remotely related to Wi-Fi (I think) I can find on my laptop is the following:
Screenshot (2).png

Is that the same as thing the WLAN Drivers seen on Acers Website or are they different drivers, as they seem to have the same Ax201 code, but have completely different dates...

Sorry if I'm making you repeat yourselves, I just want to be sure I'm downloading the right thing

#18 ·
So I've fixed the issue... turns out that the 802.11a/b/g and the 802. 11n/ac/ax Wireless modes were both activated and interfering with each other. By disabling the latter, I'm now getting a steady 25Mbps.
Thankyou for all your help!!
I assume you did this in the Router settings ? Try enabling 802.11n/ac/ax and disabling 802.11a/b/g (because the former is faster than the later ! ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.