Wi-Fi Connection Flipping from 2.4ghz to 5ghz

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hellamental

Hi everyone!

This is my first post here, so apologies if I am not providing the correct/enough information at the outset.

I will be happy to provide as much information and in a timely manner as prompted.

The crux of the issue, is that recently the 2.4ghz and 5ghz connections in my home are only working one at a time. Meaning, I can be connected to 2.4ghz, but am unable to disconnect the same device from 2.4ghz and connect to my 5ghz network if I chose to. This is not a device compatibility thing, as an example I have experienced this on an iPhone XS.

Now, the interesting thing, is that when connected to my 2.4ghz for example, the connection will frequently drop, and then if I select 5ghz, my connection to the internet will be successful.

If I were to go back to 2.4ghz it will not connect.

After a while the 5ghz will drop and I will revert back to 2.4ghz.

It is incredibly obnoxious.

Please help!

It's either a problem with the radio in your router, or a problem with the networking components of your laptop. Borrow a router from a friend and see if the problem continues, if your friend's router works, then the problem is isolated to your router - buy a new one. If your friend's router doesn't work, then it is a problem with your laptop.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online