1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Wi-Fi" doesn't have a valid ip configuration"

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kai24ta, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kai24ta

kai24ta Thread Starter

I have a new Dell laptop (w/windows 8 OS) and used to have no problem connected to the wifi at a local cafe. Now, all of a sudden I cannot connect and after running diag I get the msg ""Wi-Fi" doesn't have a valid ip configuration". Did a system restore to a time when I could connect to the wifi but that did not work. Can someone provide a solution?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Identify the network if it is not obvious.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. kai24ta

kai24ta Thread Starter

The laptop had a trial period McAfee preloaded. I let it expire and install Malware Bytes and AVG's free virus software. I then bought the subscription to McAfee and it had me remove Malware and AVG upon installation. I was performing this installation via a tethered smartphone connection and the installation did not complete so I went to the cafe to try and reinstall and thats when I discovered I could not connect and the got the msg "Wi-Fi" doesn't have a valid ip config...". I did a system restore to before I tried to install McAfee but had the same problem afterwards.

Thanks for any responses.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

5. kai24ta

kai24ta Thread Starter

Thanks will try that asap.

6. kai24ta

kai24ta Thread Starter

Worked like a charm. Thanks

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You're welcome. :)

You should be able to install your paid-for McAfee now. If you run into future troubles like this you know how to beat McAfee into behaving.

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page or just below the last post.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084692