1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wi-Fi extenders? Boosters? What do I need?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PocketNinja, Sep 17, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. PocketNinja

PocketNinja Thread Starter

Next to my router I can get around 16 Mbps, but by me computer which is almost directly one floor above my router I can only get around 10 Mbps. I stream on Twitch and I need speeds more reliable but I cant figure out what I should be doing. Ive looked into range extenders/repeaters but from what I can tell they actually reduce your speeds? Ive also heard talk of "Boosters" which supposedly boost your speed, but for the life of me I cant find anything like that. Does anyone have any cheap suggestions (Preferably under $50 USD) on what I should be getting or specific models, etc. Thanks!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What upload/download speed plan do you have with your internet service provider(ISP)?
    What's the description of your router?
    What's the description of the WiFi device in your computer?
    The more information you provide, the easier it'll be for the networking experts to help you.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Check the signal strength at the desired location. Make sure there are no obstacles (including the computer) in the path from router's antenna to computer's adapter's antenna. See if you can improve things by reorienting antennas or by slight relocation of router or computer. Often a router's external antenna is pointed directly up, so a device directly above or below it will get a much lower strength signal than devices at right angles to the antenna.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    To add to this, make sure that the router is not next to any other device that emits RF or any kind of frequency as well as the position of the router ideally should be in the most highest central point in the room. If the router is on the floor, try moving it up higher.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!