1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wi-Fi Printer <=> WiFi Router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JiminSA, Oct 29, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. JiminSA

JiminSA Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    I have a Lexmark Interpret B405 printer with wi-fi, which I need to connect to my HP Compaq Desktop PC.
    My Network Router is a Huawei B315s.
    I am led to believe that I can organise a connection to my printer through my existing Local Home Network.
    Is this indeed possible?
    How would I go about it?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes.

Connect each to the router. (In case you are wondering, the router's LAN consists of two parts--one ethernet and the other Wi-Fi.)

3. JiminSA

JiminSA Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Thanks for the headsup Terry(y) and please excuse my lack of knowledge/understanding, but I envisaged a handshake between the router and printer via their wi-fi?
    You see I'm a pensioner and wanted to avoid buying additional cabling ...

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't quite understand your last post. Handshake?

You connect the computer to the router (presumably by ethernet, but could be by Wi-Fi).

You connect the printer to the router (presumably by Wi-Fi, but could be by ethernet).

You install the printer on the computer. I'm not familiar with that printer or with Lexmark in general, but surely they have a user guide or quick installation guide that gives instructions. If it's similar to HP all-in-one printers you will have a choice of various software or just the needed driver.

5. JiminSA

JiminSA Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Handshake is a rather antiquated term which refers to the connectivity between 2 devices on a network.
    ... and thank you, the remainder of your post has clarified my understanding(y)

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Lexmark S405 Network Guide

Do you have the CD that came with the printer? According to Lexmark's site, this printer does not have Windows 10 drivers. What version of Windows do you have? (or whatever OS you have if it's not Windows)

I don't believe the router has WPS enabled so you would need to add the network to the printer manually.

If the router is close to the printer, I would strongly suggest getting a Ethernet cable (shouldn't cost much at all) to connect the printer to the router.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice