1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Wi Fi to No Fi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RT, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RT

RT Thread Starter

Howdy folks!

Guessing this is the right place for a network of one, basically.

So I had WiFi fine, and suddenly don't have it, along with no internet.
    This has been intermittent for a while, and usually unplugging every thing and reconnecting has worked.
    With Windows 10 I usually just follow the steps by Windows when reconnecting and has worked to restore Internet and WiFi.
    Sometimes Windows will go through an automatic reset during that time, not sure what it's doing, but it worked.

So - symptoms and config:
    Direct cable from ISP to cable modem,
    wired modem to Belkin router,
    wired router to computer.

Been working fine, nothing has been touched, no virus nor malware detected, just lost the internet, suddenly.
    If I bypass the router, go through cable modem only, Internet's there.
    If I use the router, shows I do have a secured WiFi connect, but no Internet.

I been through several Windows "Trouble Shooter" themes to no avail.

Oh, I should mention that sometimes, not all the time, when the router is connected I see one of the errors is "No valid IP address" regarding internet connect.

Is that older router going bad, or is my wiring wrong?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You do, or do not, have a good connection and internet access when connected by ethernet to the router?

If you do, problem with wireless. If you do not, probably the router is failing.

Either way, make sure you have the latest router firmware (if you have success with ethernet); then reset it to factory defaults.

3. RT

RT Thread Starter

Hey Terry, seems I can't have an internet connect if the router is involved, but have good connection without router.
    So it doesn't seem like I can update firmware without an internet connection unless the router is connected, not even manually from Belkin's instructions...

Without the router, all is well, so I too suspect the router unit.
    Even though it tells me I have a WiFi connection, it doesn't accept the ethernet.

Just don't get why everything was fine, all happy together, then suddenly wasn't.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reset the router to factory defaults. Sometimes that will "shock" it to work a little longer (while you are obtaining its replacement).

It's a lot more fun when routers and other electronics fail slowly and erratically. :D Work OK, then maybe slow down, then OK again, then lose connection for a few minutes, then OK again, then ... .

5. RT

RT Thread Starter

Ok, you made me laugh til I koffed up stuff! :D
    And please get these Santa socks off my smiley guys...

So.. I'll get a new thingy that hooks up to the other thingy, see what happens.
    I'm glad we had this technical discussion Terry, but I won't mark this Solved yet...
    I have to get some thing ordered and delivered, hooked up and see what fails/works next, be it hardware or me-ware:D

6. RT

RT Thread Starter

Howdy seoziw22,
    [Moderator's note: seoziw22 is a spammer, and is no longer a member.]
    Yes, I've been that route with the router several times... even leaving everything unplugged and totally without power overnight.
    also, just so you know, this is a desktop configuration.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2018
  7. RT

RT Thread Starter

Thank you for that.

I don't what know happened, but everything started working together again.
    Didn't do anything I haven't already done...
    The Boy brought his router over, but I thought I'd try mine one more time and viola! Success!

So I'll mark this as Solved, as it'll all work until such time when it doesn't ;)
    Appreciate your thoughts Terry, thank you kindly!

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

P.S. - If I could do anything about those Santa socks I would have done it years ago.

RT likes this.
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice