1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wi Fi Tracking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by amrinder_logic, Jun 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amrinder_logic

amrinder_logic Thread Starter

Dear all

I have purchased Internet plan for monthly 20 GB . Problem is that after monthly plan starts, it gets 17 or 19 gb data used within 5 or 6 days. I am not using that amount of download of Videos or some other stuff but Wi Fi is enabled on my network. I want to track who is consuming this Amount of data in downloading by getting IP number / name of that pc on my network. Kindly help me as it has happened for 3rd straight month.

Amrinder Singh

2. Mhouser

Mhouser

This is usually on the web interface for most Routers.

Find this address by going to START menu - Run - type: cmd
    In Prompt Window type: ipconfig

Type address for Default Gateway into web browser.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you are - ask members of family what they are doing and change the password to something not dictionary related and then see who asks for the code and discuss what they are doing with the internet ?

4. valis

valis Moderator

this doesn't work, we will need to check for malware.......but it's nice to get the humans exonerated first. :)

5. Padeo

Padeo

along with checking for malware, check your wifi settings to see if it is open or locked (via browser->gateway IP, i.e., http://nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn). If it's open, lock it so that whomever uses your wifi needs a password (or passphrase or passkey). I use a 4G portable hotspot that has 50Gb limit and needed to lock it as well for the same reason.

6. Mhouser

Mhouser

Netgear WNR2000 routers comes with Traffic Meter page

Traffic control by (Download, Upload, Both, or Unlimited)
    Monthly limit (in Mbytes)
    Connect time control (how many hours someone can be connected to the network)

Does your device have anything like this?

7. amrinder_logic

amrinder_logic Thread Starter

Guys. I am not so much known to theses Gateways / Login in Routers stuff etc. Can you please brief me in very simple way. Regards.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1057668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice