1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wi-Fi/Wireless Connection not available

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dipped, Oct 15, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Dipped

Dipped Thread Starter

Long story short I can't connect wirelessly on my computer.
    So I got this new rig and before trying to mess with the OS settings and such, I saw that I couldn't connect to the Internet. Before I talk about details I just want to make clear that I made sure all the Windows 10 updates are installed and that I have updated all the drivers. Alright, so to begin with I clicked on the network icon on the lower right. When I clicked on it the only thing that showed up was "Network and Internet Settings". No available networks popped up. I did all the Windows updates and updated the drivers after that. Still nothing. When I connect via ethernet cable the networks tab just says "Network" and under that it says "Connected". In my case I want it wireless because my router and my PC are in different rooms. Some tutorials I saw suggested I go to the Network And Sharing Center or whatever it's called. There I could enable the "Wi-Fi" option. Except for me there was no Wi-Fi option. Like, at all. Another thing I did was change a bunch of stuff through CMD and turn the WLAN AutoConfig to automatic in the services. Oh and troubleshooting had no effect either. I don't think I have to enable my SSID broadcast as all our other devices detect my router just fine.
    Some other things to keep in mind:

This new rig is made by the same company as my old one. The new one is kind of like a super upgraded version of the old one. The old one could connect wirelessly. It didn't have a network adapter either. The only time it had difficulties on wireless connection was when I had downgraded it back to Windows 7 but the effect was temporary. Other than that it ran flawlessly wireless So I don't think it has anything to do with adapters. The drivers were practically the same Realtek Drivers so I'm kind of confused. If someone could help me fix this issue I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well if you don't have WiFi listed in Network and Internet Settings, then Windows does not see it.

Can you confirm that you have the wireless card by taking a screenshot of your Device Manager showing both Network Adapters and Other Devices (if available) expanded and post it here? Snipping tool will work wonders here.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If "this new rig" is a desktop is the Wi-Fi antenna attached securely and in a position where it can communicate with the router?

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    To confirm the Network and Internet Settings page:

1)
    upload_2019-10-15_8-4-7.png
    When WiFi is detected

2)
    upload_2019-10-15_8-4-49.png
    When WiFi is not.

So is it 1, or 2? 1, or 2?...

5. Dipped

Dipped Thread Starter

It would be 2 in my case.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think my question was premature. :) Do you have a wireless adapter? Or, as James posted, "Can you confirm that you have the wireless card by taking a screenshot of your Device Manager showing both Network Adapters and Other Devices (if available) expanded and post it here?".

7. Dipped

Dipped Thread Starter

Sorry for the late response. Here is the screenshot. And no I do not own a wireless adapter. I never did actually but it always worked flawlessly without an ethernet cable or an adapter.

Attached Files:

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You should apply for a patent! :D Although, I'm not sure how you patent nothing, or make money off it.

Seriously, in case it needs to be said, you need a wireless adapter if you want to use Wi-Fi on that computer (or any other device).

9. Dipped

Dipped Thread Starter

Thank you very much! I'm still curious how my other computer connected though :p . Oh well.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If a laptop manufactured in the last 15 years it almost definitely had an integrated wireless adapter with the antenna around the screen.

If a desktop it had a wireless adapter in a PCI (or PCIe) slot, and internal antenna, and you did not look in Device Manager under Network Adapters.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It's possible that the previous computer may have had an internal wireless adapter and now this doesn't. If you do not have any Other Devices option, then either 1) you do not have one, or 2) you do have one, but it's faulty. Double check your order for the parts that came with the computer. If you ordered the computer with wireless then the vendor will need to support it.

If it was ordered without a wireless connection, those are a dime a dozen. $10-20 depending on brand and format (USB or PCIe). PCIe would be a better choice for a desktop. USB is good if you need to use it in another computer...

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice