1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wi-Fi wont connect

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lemlem, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemlem

lemlem Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A4-3300M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 18 Model 1 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3562 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6480G, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 461555 MB, Free - 420547 MB; D: Total - 15079 MB, Free - 1673 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 169B
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

I have a basic home network system that includes an HP Pavilion Slimline processor desktop, an HP Pavilion g6 laptop and an old Toshiba Satellite laptop. The Toshiba has Windows XP, the HPs have Windows 7. The network is set up with the desktop as the access point for the router. The router is a Netgear WGR614v6. The Toshiba wifi connects, but I’m having trouble connecting the HP laptop. When I attempt to connect to the secure Netgear network, it tells me Wi-Fi is disconnected. (No trouble connecting to "linksys" open system) I’ve tried several approaches to connect via suggestions in Google and also the Network Setup Wizard provided by Netgear (for Windows XP system) with no success.

I have the Network Summary information including the Wireless Passphrase, Admin Username, and Admin Password. I also have the Wireless Network Settings from Netgear. So what am I doing wrong? Help please. I’m pretty much an 81 year-old novice at this so please use simple terminology and explanations if possible. (However, I’m a retired Aeronautical Engineer so I know enough to be dangerous).

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Disable encryption and MAC Address filtering on the router and try to connect. If successful you can probably re-enable encryption and reconnect.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030020

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice