Wich router?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hawkie_DawG

Hello, I bought a wireless D-Link router for some monhts ago and I am really disappointed of it. It's wireless connection is instable and it doesn't give me full download althogh it says "Up to 56mbps wireless". I am also having many kind of servers, and even if I forward the ports on it, it doesn't work! Either it doesn't work or changes the port for the server to a range higher than 60000. Now I wanna buy a router that has a port forwarding that WORKS and gives me full speed of my internet connection WIRELESS. Please suggest me wich router fits me best.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
I have two d-link routers. One wired and one wireless and they both work flawlessly. You will never have an Internet connection as fast as your wired or wireless lan connection. You may want to give us some more details as to the Model number of the router you are using and how you are going about setting up Port Forwarding. You may also want to check d-link's website for a Firmware upgrade.

Hawkie_DawG

I posted this problem a while ago but I never got the question answered so I gave up, but here I go again.

The Model: AirXtreme G+
My connection speed: 24Mbit down, 1mbit up

My problem with the wireless connection that I NEVER got full speed out of my computer. The max speed I could get was 260kb/sec so I changed to a normal CAT cable. My connection speed is now 100% but now I have the problems of port forwarding. Always when I host a HL2/HL server, the port gets changed to a range higher than 60000. I have forwarded all the ports that are required and tried everything to make the server using the port 27015.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Gee, I have an aging D-Link DI-614+, and the port forwarding is very flexible, much more so than other routers I've used. I'm not sure why you blame the router for your server changing the port range, since the router has nothing to do with that.

As far as wireless speeds, if you run unencrypted 802.11g, you'll be very lucky to get close to 30mbit/sec, and that's still a half duplex connection. Add encryption, and it gets slower. If you have two computers connecting to the wireless, the you lose more than 50% speed to each, since the contention seems to slow things down. I think part of the problem is unrealistic expectations for the wireless link.

BTW, what kind of ISP has 24 mbit/sec downloads?

Hawkie_DawG

It's an ISP called bredbandsbolaget in Sweden. And I blame the router cause I've heard many rumors that D-Link has some extra protection stuffs that automatically changes the port(For ethernet users, not LAN users) to a range higher than 60000 for security reasons.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I've never heard of that "feature" in the D-Link router, and I'd be amazed if it exists.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts