1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wider Ratio Monitors vs older

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by agpilot, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. agpilot

agpilot Thread Starter

Hello: I suppose this is so basic that some will roll their eyes.. I have been using a stock market program on the older 5:4 ratio LCD monitors. I plan on buying a new Dell WIDER ratio this weekend. It states that my favorite lower resolution is supported. My question: Will the program adjust to the newer RATIO so that the entire screen is filled? I expect slight adjustment in normal V + H positions but my main question deals with the large difference in going to the much wider ratio. I do not play any video games. Is there a more important question that I should be asking? Thanks. agpilot

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

LCD monitors should be run at their native res ie usually something like 1440X900 for a wide screen. If your app is a standard windows app, it should be OK.

One thing to check however is if your video card will support the monitors native screen res.

3. agpilot

agpilot Thread Starter

Hello crjdriver: Well, yes but I am currently using a smaller Dell LCD monitor at a much lower resolution then it's native. Part of the problem is that I don't like the very high resolutions because it makes e verything too small. I am not able to get my eyes back to 20/20 vision. The Dell I am thinking of buying will support the resolution I am currently using but the screen will be bigger and the different width to height ratio. will be different. That different heigth to width ratio is what my question is about. Will a windose program self adjust to the differeny ratio?
    agpilot (retired)

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have never run a lcd at anything other than it's native screen res so I cannot tell you for sure. I would think it will be OK however that is no guaranty.

You do understand that you can resize icons, text size, etc to make it easier to see correct?

5. agpilot

agpilot Thread Starter

Thanks again crjdriver: Well I know text size can be changed under the VIEW menu. Also font can be changed under display settings...... but this program takes over ALL functions when it is running so if you don't like the size, changing resolution is about the only way I am aware of in this case. I guess I will have to call their support line tomorrow and hope I don't get a smart mouth know it all 19 year old that has no consept of older non 20/20 vision. ag.

6. Hughv

Hughv

My 22" LCD runs at 1680 x 1050, and I'm older than you are, with eyes that require Tri-focals, and I don't have any problem.
    I often use this screen with the window sized to take up about 2/3 of the screen, but I think that's just habit.
    You can adjust many more screen settings in the Appearance/Advanced menu of Display Options.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice