1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Widescreen monitor stretching

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DreadStorm, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DreadStorm

DreadStorm Thread Starter

First Name:
    Wayne
    I heard somewhere that XP has a method (?) of having, say, 1024x768 display proportionally correct on a widescreen monitor (granted, blank panels on the sides), rather than having it stretched edge-to-edge.

I wonder if this is true, and how does one go about setting it so that it only displays proportionally, instead of stretching anything? Regular computing and movies look real good on a WS, but gaming just doesn't do it. heh

For specifics, I'm using a KDS 19" k-92bw WS monitor on a GeForce4 MX 4000.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Are you set to 1024x768 Now ??
    Or the monitor native resolution of 1440x900

Does this perfect Circle/Square look Round and Square to you ??

Attached Files:

3. DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    During "normal" use, I have it on native 1440x900. But you know most games automatically set resolution. I just want the monitor NOT to stretch things out in a non-native WS resolution. (For example, my LoTR-BFME sets the monitor to 1024x768 - when it does that, I'd rather have it centered on the monitor, or to one side, rather than stretched.) Ol' Legolas looks too fat. heh

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Never played with Gaming .. Didn't know they changed resolution settings.
    I'll have to pass to someone who knows what their doing here.
    Sounds like a "Mission Impossible" to me.

5. jackdw

jackdw

I know what you mean and it's really annoying but the benefits of widescreen outweigh it for me. I know at least for sim city, you can add something to the command line of the game to force it to run in 1440x900 (or any other resolution) even though the game menus do not offer it.

Try running a few google searches, I think theres a forum out there dedicated to helping people get old games running on widescreen without the stretching.

6. DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    Went to nVidia's forums, and so far no one knows how to do it there either. But I DID find out that scaling options are only for DVI setups. My card has DVI, but my monitor doesn't - it had to use an adapter.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice