1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

widescreen movie does not fill screen

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by mshabsovich, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mshabsovich

mshabsovich Thread Starter

why is it that a wide screen movie still have the black stripes on the top and bottom of a wide screen display? can it be filled up all the way with out cutting out any film from the screen? the resolution is 1920x1080

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I can not guarantee I will have a solution but someone here may be able to help you if we had some more information.

Is that for the movie or your display? What is the resolution of both?

Are you playing the movie on a computer (need to know operating system and player software) and monitor or some kind of DVD player and TV (need brands and model numbers of both)?

Note: Some movies on DVD are wider than the 16:9 (1.778) wide screen aspect ratio of HD TVs. Check the DVD box label to see if the aspect ratio is higher than 1.778.

3. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Most monitors are actually 16:10

4. mshabsovich

im am playing the dvd on a windows 7 64 bit dell laptop core i5 with either vlc player or windows media player. the display is a asus vh242h with 1920x1080 resolution. i am not sure about the resolution of the dvd since its a netflix movie and i dont have the box to it.

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You could try looking up the movie title at www.imdb.com. The technical specs section may list the Aspect Ratio.
    Are you playing a wides screen standard disc or a Blu-ray disc?

6. mshabsovich

the movie is 2.35 : 1 and on DVD

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    The aspect ratio of the movie is much wider than a 16:9 (or 16:10) HD TV screen for a given height. If your player software stretched the movie to fill the entire 1920 pixel width of your display, the picture would only be 817 pixels high (1920 / 2.35). If the player software has the option to fill the screen in both directions, the vertical stretch would need to be a higher percentage than the horizontal stretch and everything would appear tall and skinny.

8. mshabsovich

thanks for that. i just dont understand why there is no standard so that wide screen movies fit wide screen displays. but hey, thats life.

9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    The problem is that there were many standards used by the movie industry throughout the history of movie making. Most of them were developed to bring people out of their homes watching television and into movie theaters. I can not vouch for the accuracy of the information but I did find an interesting article on different movie aspect ratios and how the TV broadcasters handle them when shown on TV. It also explains how the 16:9 aspect ratio was chosen for HDTV. Here is a link to a PDF file of the article:

http://www.cinemasource.com/articles/aspect_ratios.pdf

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974980

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice