1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

widescreen vs standard screen LCD

Discussion in 'Games' started by neofan3, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neofan3

neofan3 Thread Starter

I have a widescreen but I don't feel good about it. Using a ratio 16:10, the images still look fatter and dwarfer than normal. For recent games, it is better and it becomes worse for older games.

Maybe I should by a standard screen LCD? Is there any good one?

2. BG-0

BG-0

Hardly. Mine is decent, got it at a reasonable price second-hand, but hardly any companies produce 4:3 or 5:4 monitors anymore. Dell has some, but 19" non-wide monitors cost more than 24" widescreen ones. Even then, the 16:9, "ultra-wide", are cheaper and more wide-spread than the reasonable 16:10 monitors.
    About my monitor, cost more second-hand than a bigger 16:10 monitor (actually bigger, not just more inches) new, and is duller in colors and overall worse. Comparing to an LG of my friend's.

3. neofan3

neofan3 Thread Starter

I am looking at some standard screen LCD monitors with the possibility of buying one.

One such is the "Samsung SyncMaster 943N 19-inch LCD Monitor". But I got confused. If I look at the picture, it looks like a standard screen, and customer reviews also hints so, but a review from wiki says it is a widescreen, quoted:

link http://www.productwiki.com/samsung-syncmaster-943n/
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012U0R4G/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

What do you think?

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

A wide screen is smaller in height than the same size normal screen.
    For example .. My 24 inch wide screen has the same viewing height as my normal sized 20 inch.

The point being .. You may have to go larger for a wide screen to see the amount of picture as you would on a normal (narrow) screen.

The spec of 1280x1024 pixels is a 5:4 ratio .. not 4:3 ... And that's NOT a wide screen which would be 16:10
    Look for a Samsung 204B ... It's a true 4:3 Ratio that matches a CRT display.

If the attached Perfect Circle/Square doesn't look as such ...
    your driver setting doesn't match the aspect ratio of your monitor

Attached Files:

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Probably because the older games are using 800x600 or 640x480 depending on how old you are going back.

6. neofan3

neofan3 Thread Starter

Not necessarily. Take an example, BOD ( blade of darkness ) when played at 1024x768 looks really nice on older machines, but when played on my newer machines at 1280x800 (16:10) the characters look like fat cats. Since BOD doesn't require CD in to play, I had both side by side and have no doubt about it.

Some other game like "Drakan: order of the flame" it looks alright at ratio 16:10 on widescreen monitor. Not sure why?

BTW, the Samsung 204B may have problem with blackouts when used with DVI cable. I also looked at another 4:3 :

HP LP2065 Monitor, 20 Inch LCD, Silver Bezel, Analog - Digital Interface

7. BG-0

BG-0

The 204B will be gladly replaced by Samsung if you get one that does the blackouts.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Both of my 2 Samsung 204B's developed A backlight problem after a little over 2 years.
    Samsung sent me 2 replacements .. no Charge for anything.
    The problem is .. They no longer make this model ... I don't know where you can get a new one.

9. neofan3

neofan3 Thread Starter

I am new to lcd monitor and still learning. I just find out that my monitor has the "aspect control" option and when I switched to 4:3, the picture looks just like my CRT monitor of my older computer. The only grime is that it is awkward switching to it and also I am not sure if that will hurt my monitor or not? If not, so maybe I don't need a standard monitor, afterall.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/881655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice