Solved Widows 10 Doesn't Completely Install

oldjunk

Mike
I've attempted to load this OS twice and it "blank screens" at the same point both times. This laptop is a Dell Inspiron N5110 that originally came with Windows 7 Home Edition. I'm installing Windows 10 Pro (1903 version) from a USB flash drive. The problem happens when I'm being asked for an alternate email address for entering a verification code. I enter the alternate email address and the screen blanks-out - both times. Then nothing happens - no code is sent...nothing - just a dark blank screen.

Also, the bios may need updating. I was given this machine and have no history of its former owner

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Mike:

What's the exact 7-character "service tag" number on that Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 laptop?

The Dell support site for that model doesn't have Windows 10 64-bit drivers listed, so hopefully the install of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit will provide the needed drivers for all of its primary devices.

From what I can see from the description of its primary devices in the Windows 7 64-bit drivers list, you should be okay.

If you do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, it will wipe out everything from its previous owner and give that laptop a fresh start.

You can't do an upgrade install anyway from Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

And how do you plan to activate Windows 10 Pro 64-bit if you're able to install it?

--------------------------------------------------

Couriant

James
to add to Frank's info, you can do the BIOS update if you download it to your USB and then use the Boot Menu (F12 from start up) and choose BIOS Update.

I would suggest getting a new Windows ISO or MCT (Media Creation Tool) to ensure the one you have now is not corrupt somehow.

oldjunk

Mike
Mike:

What's the exact 7-character "service tag" number on that Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 laptop?

The Dell support site for that model doesn't have Windows 10 64-bit drivers listed, so hopefully the install of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit will provide the needed drivers for all of its primary devices.

From what I can see from the description of its primary devices in the Windows 7 64-bit drivers list, you should be okay.

If you do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, it will wipe out everything from its previous owner and give that laptop a fresh start.

You can't do an upgrade install anyway from Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

And how do you plan to activate Windows 10 Pro 64-bit if you're able to install it?

The Service Tag number is: 1BYZGP1. Express Service Code is: 2900671813

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The Service Tag number is: 1BYZGP1. Express Service Code is: 2900671813
You have THIS Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 laptop which was purchased in July 2011 and came with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit.

A03 is the most current BIOS update and was released in June 2020.

---------------------------------------------------

Couriant

James
You have THIS Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 laptop which was purchased in July 2011 and came with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit.

A03 is the most current BIOS update and was released in June 2020.

FYI You can check the current BIOS of the laptop by going to the BIOS screen, which is to repeatedly press F2 as soon as you start the machine and it will be in the the Summary section

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The previous BIOS update for it was A02 which was released in March 2011.
Because A03 was released only 4 months ago, it's my guess it has the old version.
Let's wait and see what Mike says.

oldjunk

Mike
The previous BIOS update for it was A02 which was released in March 2011.
Because A03 was released only 4 months ago, it's my guess it has the old version.
Let's wait and see what Mike says.

I think the most current BIOS version is A11, but that may be wrong. I tried again using a Win 10 installation CD and the same thing happened. Only then it shut down at a different point in the installation. Think it could be a broken HDD?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Mike:
I just rechecked the driver downloads section for your Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 laptop.
This is an image of the 2 BIOS updates (A02 and A03) listed for it:

Capture.JPG

As you can see, A03 was released about 4 months ago.

Couriant

James
Mike:
I just rechecked the driver downloads section for your Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 laptop.
This is an image of the 2 BIOS updates (A02 and A03) listed for it:

View attachment 281923

As you can see, A03 was released about 4 months ago.

I had to doublecheck too... I find it odd that this machine had only 2 revisions.... most have at least 10.

Anyways considering Version 2004 is out, I would suggest redoing the imaging usb stick to the latest just to rule out a bad installation stick.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I was surprised those BIOS updates are more than 9 years apart. :eek:

Whenever I create install media for Windows 10, a disc and not a thumb drive is what I create and use.
Besides greatly reducing the risk of getting lost or damaged, using a disc works better for me. (y)

oldjunk

Mike
I was surprised those BIOS updates are more than 9 years apart. :eek:

Whenever I create install media for Windows 10, a disc and not a thumb drive is what I create and use.
Besides greatly reducing the risk of getting lost or damaged, using a disc works better for me. (y)

I installed the OS successfully using this "off line work-around", Frank. Thanks for your input.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-...ion of,Click the Sign out and finish button.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online