Widows 95 re-install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

capthook

Help, I am trying to reload Windows 95 from floppy disks, everytime I get to disk #7 it can't copy the files and I have to hit "skip file" to continue. After I finish installing, the computer won't run windows and It tells me to reinstall windows

It sounds as though that particular Floppy Disk may no longer be good. Those Floppies must be very old by now.

You might try this. Scandisk to see if the FAT is still good on the floppy. Other than that, you might have to get an Install CD instead.

Hi capthook,

I take it that you are installing 95 using floppies
because the PC has no CD unit?

I also take it that you have another machine because
you have got on line.

You could try the 'inbox repair tool' on the other machine,
look in 'find' for Scanpst.exe

See if it can 'fix' the floppy.
The 'fix' is only a bodge to get it to run, if it
works you will still have to attend to the files
that get 'fixed' cos they wont be right, just
readable. If it does run then you'll have to get some
replacement files from somewhere to replace.

I guess that the machine with no CD is a laptop?
Or maybe just very old?

If its a laptop it could be that the A drive isnt
very good, does this floppy read OK on another machine?

If so then you could de-compress and spread that one over two floppies, the floppy drives in laptops often
seem to have trouble with the higher format disks.

Best of luck, John

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts