1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Widows not detecting my external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Quinnzo, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Quinnzo

Quinnzo Thread Starter

This is reallllllllly important, my Dad's going to flip when he gets back.

We wen't halfs on an external hard drive which Windows in now not detecting, it comes up under device manager where it says everythings dandy however under volumes it has no data for the drive.

When you load up Disk Management it says I must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it. Disk 2 is already checked and MBR is selected so when I press Okay an error message pops up saying 'Incorrect Function' Same when I select GPT instead of MBR.[​IMG]
    Then when I try to right click Initialize disk is grayed out. It wasn't about half an hour ago though :/ Half an hour ago when I pressed Initialze disk it came up with 'incorrect function' again

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Can you connect the drive to another system to find out if it is your computer or the drive that has problems?

3. Quinnzo

Quinnzo Thread Starter

I have done, it's the drive. It doesn't show up on another computer neither.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, now you have a choice. You can open the external case and pull the drive. Connect it as an internal drive. You may be able to access the drive that way. If so, the drive is OK and it is the enclosure that has failed. If you cannot access the drive when connected as an internal, then it is the drive itself that has failed.

Second choice is to return the drive if it is still under warranty or take it to a shop that does data recovery.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/885205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice