1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Widows XP updates fail every time

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AriaOne, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AriaOne

AriaOne Thread Starter

Hello ppl,Im new on this site and I would like to ask you if you could kindly help me with my problem.here is the issue:
    Im using Windows XP SP3 (installation of SP3 not the reason of the issue,cos it started before) and since few weeks back,maybe 1-2 months,the automatic windows updates are downloaded absolutely without any problems,but fails the installation every time...any idea why? I dont know which of my installed software could cause this,but maybe its just some system settings(which I havent touch)...will apprecciate any help,thanks.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Try Re-registering the Windows Update DLL with the commands below

Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    Type or copy and paste the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 atl.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuweb.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 msxml.dll
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    regsvr32 msxml2.dll
    regsvr32 qmgr.dll
    regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

3. AriaOne

AriaOne Thread Starter

I cant believe this!less than 4 minutes after I posted my enquiry,I received a reply which solved my problem..BIG THANK YOU simpswr and well done for the site for providing a space for ppl who are willing to help each other.Im glad to register here...once again thak you and good luck!!

4. AriaOne

AriaOne Thread Starter

..actually,before I leave you :) for a while,I've got another,lets say not a big issue: other day I was going to download an installation of a program,but the process was interupted(I think by myself :) ) and so,on the desktop there is left this blue-white windows icon,you know when the windows does not rekognize the file,it shows that its zero lengh,and the issue is that I cannot delete it,it is saying "its being used by another person or program"..but I have no idea which one...

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

Try booting into Safe Mode and deleting it . . Tap F8 repeatedly from the time you press the power button . . choose Safe Mode

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

You are welome . .

7. lamebrain

lamebrain

Thanks. I too had this update prob and your solution was spot-on.

8. AriaOne

AriaOne Thread Starter

Another right advice from you simpswr and another BIG THANK YOU,cos I learned a lot from you today,cheers...I see in your profile the add about AVG...I dont know if its your favorite security soft.if yes maybe I souldnt post this :) but it could be interesting and useful for you..of course if you dont know it allready :) so AVG was my favorite until I discovered this:

http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

Great . . glad to help

I use the AVG Anti-Virus, not the firewall . . I use the Windows Firewall when I am behind a router.

Glad it worked . .

10. AriaOne

AriaOne Thread Starter

Sure,I understand..I used AVG antivirus for nearly a year and I cannot say I wasnt happy with it..but on most of the forums I found comments that Nod 32 is much better for example and it is friendlier with the firewalls...so I tried it and so far I can say its truth..besides,when I installed Nod on its first scan it found a trojan in one of the files I had on my drive for ages and AVG failed to spot it....by the way,everybody knows that windows firewall is useless.

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

Everyone has their own preferences . . when I am behind a firewall it is all I need . . I used a variety of firewalls for years and ended up with the Windows one. But I am a cautious surfer . . me sainted moother always said . . you can wear all the seat belts you want, but if you choose to drive off a clift, none of them will save you!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/687125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice