1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wierd boot and optical drives missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by salamnder, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. salamnder

salamnder Thread Starter

When I boot my pc it freezes on the boot unless i press F10 and select my primary drive. If I press F2 to get into my bios it also freezes. Once I get into windows (booting slower then normal) I can not see my optical drives. The optical drives are showing in the device manager however. HELP PLZ

My box: eMachine T6520 AMD 64 3400 with 2gb ram 2 hard drives and ati pci-e X800

Any ideas?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try resetting CMOS. Unplug the machine and remove the battery for 30 minutes or so. You can do it faster if there is a jumper on your borad for clearing it.

3. salamnder

salamnder Thread Starter

Ok, reset the cmos, I can get into bios now. My pc was still hanging up on APCI on boot. I messed with CMOS settings until I got it right. Had to boot the primary HDD before the CDROM and it booted right up. Now I am still having problems seeing my optical drives. In the device man they are there but not "my computer" like nearly every comptuer out there, I have a burner and a player. All I want to do is play some BF 2 lol

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

1. Click on START button, the click on RUN.

2. Enter REGEDIT and press Enter.

3. When REGEDIT starts, open up the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/
    {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

4. After clicking on {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} you should see two settings on the right-hand side:
    "Upperfilters"
    "Lowerfilters"
    Click on each of them, press DELETE and click YES.

Or you can download this reg file to do the same thing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/681115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice