1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wierd DVD damage.

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by k1ttenface, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. k1ttenface

k1ttenface Thread Starter

I've had a wierd problem of DVDs being rendered unplayable and wonder if anyone has any insight.

A few months ago I rewatched a DVD i've had sitting on a shelf for a few years. It stopped playing about 3/4 through the movie and when i checked the disk it had a wierd dark spot under the surface that kinda looked like liquid had seeped into the middle layer (or even that it had somehow melted), starting from the outer edge. I couldn't work out what had happened so i just assumed it was some freak fault and binned it and bought another. However, the exact same thing has just happened again with a different dvd stored in a different cupboard and playing on a different player at the time of discovery (this time one that had been watched in the last few months).

Here is a picture of it (at the top of the disk).
    [​IMG]
    Sorry about the quality, i havn't got any batteries for my camera so had to resort to a novelty spy camera pen (I can take another with my real camera tomorrow if it helps). When looking closely, you can also see that there are a number of very small ones along the edge of the disk in the same general area that arn't directly connected.

Any ideas what this is?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not sure, but DVD's don't last for very long. The dye seems to degrade. Though it doesn't seem logical, I now store all my long-term storage on hard drives since they seem to hold the data far more reliably (if kept in a dry place). Most DVD's that I have that have gotten a few years old have started to degrade and separate, and they become unreadable even before that.

It is probably just old age.

3. k1ttenface

k1ttenface Thread Starter

I have had similar problems with DVD/CD-R in the past (in which the damage was visable on both sides, while in this case it's only the shiny side) but these are genuine DVD-ROM movies, and not particularly old, and (as far as i can tell from google) DVD-ROM don't degrade like burned disks do.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

All DVD's are burned. It probably also depends on what quality they start with.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024592

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice