Wierd graphics problems, XP crash @ 1024x768

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

n7Epsilon

Hello,
I'm having a wierd problem with my PC. It just started today !

Information:
MSI 865PE Neo2 LSR Mainboard (Intel 865PE Chipset)
2.6GHZ P4 Northwood CPU
512 PC3200 DDR SDRAM
MSI GeForce FX5200 GPU 128MB
WD800BB-23JFJA0 Hard Drive
OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 + all of the latest hotfixes

Driver Info:
Intel Chipset Driver 6.2.1001
nVidia 2000/XP Display Driver 71.84

The problem:
-------------
All I did was yesterday move the PC to another room.... 12 hours since then, I started seeing weird...

"Event ID 11 - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D." errors in the Event viewer and also

"Event ID 7026 - The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: IntelIde"
, Also after a few minutes of operation, the screen flashes twice (and sometimes thrice) and then comes back but everything becomes frozen, once I saw display artifacts and once I got a BSOD with the following message, also sometimes the screen just turns off and stays off and everything stops responding....

The problem seems to be with this file: nv4_disp.

The driver went into an infinite loop and was shutdown. This maybe a fault in the device itself or in the driver programming the device incorrectly.
Windows won't stay for 10 minutes without crashing on 1024 x 768, I set it to 800 x 600 and strangely enough it hasn't crashed yet, but everything is too big!! I really want to take advantage of my 17" CRT...

Things I've tried:
----------------
1. No.1 download Western Digital DataLifeGuard Diagnostics and ran the extended test: Passed in Flying colors, 0 errors.
2. Try Drive Fitness Test: 0 errors (even with extended test)
3. Try MemTest86 for 2 hours: 0 errors

Thank goodness, both the mainboard and GPU are still under warranty, but I want to investigate the reason...

Could this be a power problem or an overheating problem ???

Please help me...

Generally when problems start happening after you move a PC, it's because dust has built up inside it and it's gotten knocked down into the slots. There may be dust in your AGP slot causing these errors.

crjdriver

Pull the side cover off and use a can of air to completely blow out the system. Next R&R your video card; making sure it is fully seated. Now try the system.

n7Epsilon

But what about the IntelIDE.SYS not starting and the Event Viewer Event 11 IDs..??

crjdriver

Do you still get that message after cleaning the system?

Since you moved the system, I would reseat ALL connectors such as molex, ide, etc.

n7Epsilon

Okay, I've taken both side panels off, removed the GPU, blowed the dust off the AGP 8x slot and the card with a hair dryer and re-seated everything... and booted...

Well the event log doesn't list anything newer in the System section after last night (ie: no disk or atapi errors so far)....

Didn't get a GPU problem till now, but I want to see how it holds after 2 hours of Need for Speed Underground 2 .....

I will post here if I get any more problems....

n7Epsilon

Help ! Still problems...

Well.. Windows doesn't arbitrarily crash now with a black screen or wierd graphics but I cannot run any 3D game at all !!

I have tried:
- Delta Force Land Warrior (first used to crash a few minutes after a level begins with graphic artifacts on textures and then the whole screen goes black and turns off and PC stops responding, now it crashes even before the level begins, with the whole screen flashing black and when it turns on again, the whole screen is black except for a thin line at the left showing a 2 pixels width of the desktop and everything freezes..!)

- C&C: Generals crashes at the 3D animated menu screen !!! (everything goes black then monitor switches off and everything freezes)

Please help !!

BTW: This is at 1024 x 768 @ 85 Hz...

n7Epsilon

I noticed that the event log stopped recording events so I cleared it and started anew...

I have noticed a definite pattern:
During bootup IntelIDE driver fails to load and soon after bootup, the event log get filled with 3-4 consecutive Disk errors (hard drive controller error) and sometimes a parity error...

I am going to attempt driver cleaner and redo this...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online