1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wierd problem - losing free space

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Actionguy, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Actionguy

Actionguy Thread Starter

Maybe someone here can help me solve a very strange problem that has stumped all the PC service people that have looked at it or that I have described it to.

When I turn on my PC in the morning if I look at the properties for the C drive it shows about 8.5 gig free space. The drive space gradually goes down all day at a rate of about 5meg per minute until at 10PM I am down to about 4 gig free.

This is not related to my dsl connection because I can power off the modem and the space still dwindles. I have gone into Task master and closed down applications and processes a few at a time and have gotten down to about 10 system processes and crash the system if I close any more.
    If I bring up the system in safe mode I still have this problem.

I have run current Norton virus scans and several adware eliminating programs. But the drive space keeps going
    ..........down
    .................... down
    ........................................down.

Obviously some sort of temp files are being created that clear if I restart or power down because after a reboot I regain all my drive space. I have tried looking for any HUGE files but don't find any so this must be either creating a lot of small files or maybe the harddrive is just getting confused?

There are times I would like to leave the PC up for the weekend but I can't because I run out of hard drive space.
    Any clues as to what is going on here? :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Dan O

Dan O

It sounds like a virus. Are you running virus scanner and is it updated?

Also try running spybot & ad-ware.

3. rude

rude

I have heard similar problems before caused by WORD,EXCELL and some graphics programs creating backups for a task that was left running.I think the solution was to disable some programs in startup.

Just my personal opinion but,the only things I allow to start on bootup on my machine are my anti virus and firewall.

I will try to find the exact solution and get back to you but,in the mean time,you can try the above.

4. Actionguy

Actionguy Thread Starter

As I said in my query, I HAVE run Norton and it is current. I HAVE run adware/spyware removal programs. Several PC techs have also looked at this problem and ran their own scans.

I have run with all startup programs disabled and still have the problem.

Other techs have said it has to be the virtual drive but I have run with it disabled and the problem continues.

I have loaded the sytem with no startup programs and then used taskmaster to end other processes one by one but can only stop so many before I am down to about 10 system processes and shutting them down crashes the system.

This is not a simple problem and so far no one has nailed it yet.
    I have been told to back everything up, reformat the drive and reload everything but that is such a cumbersome, time consuming shotgun approach with no real assurance that this will fix the problem I hate to use it. :(

One tech said he read of something like this about a year ago and can't recall the fix other than it had something to do with the registry.

Another tech said it may be a hard drive problem and to replace to drive.

(Don't you just love these shotgun approaches?) (n)

Hopefully someone out there has had this experience and knows how to fix this.

5. rude

rude

try this:
    Click start/run

Type: SFC /scannow

Note the space between SFC and /

keep your xp cd handy in case you're asked to chuck it into your cd rom

Get back to me,I'm still trying to find the solution

6. rude

rude

Just a thought, but have you thought about going to your program folder and starting everything,one at a time of course,and checking program options?I'm thinking specifically about any programs that have a backup function or error log function.

Also,and forgive me if I am being too obvious,but have you tried Tools/Internet Options to check the settings in there.A good thing to try would be to go in there and set everything to default.A good place to start is:go to Tools/Internet Options,on the General tab,under Temporary Internet Files,click settings and move the slider to reduce the amount of space to allow for stored pages.While you are there,and assuming you have checked if your disc space has begun to fill up again,click View Files and View Objects.
    Who knows,this may well be where the problem is.

Another thing it could be,have you set up your computer to use offline files?If so,you may have to play around with the cache settings.

7. Actionguy

Actionguy Thread Starter

Tried the scannow program. It ran w/o error.

I guess I don't understand the other suggestions. If I start my PC with no startup programs. I then go to taskmaster and close processes a few at a time then check for space loss, then close a few more, am I not eliminating the programs that might be causing this problem?

As far as the internet/browser suggestions. I have pretty well eliminated that as a cause by not launching Netscape and by powering off the modem to eliminate any internet activities.

Is there no way to check my system by using Windows Explorer and finding what directory is expanding?
    I have tried looking by searching for huge files but none appear and so either the files being created are small ones or no files are being created and the hard drive is just being confused somehow.

:(

8. rude

rude

Ok,one at a time,go to your program folder(Start/My Computer/Program Files)and ,one at a time of course, check each program (the ones that you have in your startup)to see if it has an option to create backups or logs.One of them may be happily creating tons of backup or log files that automaticaly delete when you shutdown your machine.

This only a guess as you didn't say weather you have run your computer for a whole day with all startup items disabled.

I just had an idea,check this,I copied directly from Help & Support

Scheduled Tasks overview
    With Scheduled Tasks, you can schedule any script, program, or document to run at a time that is most convenient for you. Scheduled Tasks starts each time you start Windows XP and runs in the background.

With Scheduled Tasks, you can also:

Schedule a task to run daily, weekly, monthly, or at certain times (such as system startup).
    Change the schedule for a task.
    Stop a scheduled task.
    Customize how a task will run at a scheduled time

I'm wondering if one of your programs has placed itself in Scheduled tasks

9. 10forcash

10forcash

Basic question, but what are you using the PC for during the time the available space reduces?
    have you tried searching your drive for files accessed \ created in the last 24 hours?
    Cheers,
    10forcash

10. MsPCGenius

MsPCGenius

11. rude

rude

You could also try disabling the task scheduler service if this is the problem your disappearing disc space should stop disappearing.

12. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Is there not an option where it will ask you what starts up on boot: If so, use that to control everything that starts. Leave out things until you have narrowed it down to the proper process.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219393

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice