1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wierd Problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nishantm, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nishantm

Nishantm Thread Starter

Well yesterday I had a video game turned on and went afk for a couple of minutes, when I got back the screen was botched up and frozen with multiple colored vertical lines across it. I clicked it and the computer restarted. This time the bios screen and the following dos prompt and the windows loading screen had vertical lines on it distorting the image slightly. Then I was unable to boot windows normally and had to go into safe mode to run it, everything looks fine in safe mode but whenever there is a grey color anywhere on the screen little vertical lines appear on it. Whenever I try to start it normally the monitor goes into power save mode after a bunch of vertical lines appear. Also, I cannot start up games or anything and the screen refresh rate is REALLY slow, for example, when I am browsing websites and scroll down it lags up and I see waves coming up and down from the screen as if this was a 10 year old computer bieng powered by mice on wheels.

I typed in Dxdiag under run, and i was unable to turn on or test direct 3d. I reinstalled the drivers, reinstalled Direct X, but nothing is working.

Is this a video card problem? I am using a EVGA 7600 GT, 1 year old and was not overclocked at the time. The system has very good cooling with about 5 or 6 fans.

Is it a power supply problem? I used the standard cheap power supply that came with the case, it had some bad reviews at the time but I figured it wouldnt matter. It has worked fine for a year.

What other problem could it be? And any way I could narrow this down instead of having to order 3 or 4 different PC parts to see what works?

I would really appreciate any help. Thank you.

2. Armiris

Armiris

What are your resolution, video mode, and other display settings? Some video games can mess that stuff up.

3. Nishantm

Nishantm Thread Starter

1280x1024, 32 bit. I am not running any video games, I am having trouble without running anything. The vertical lines are visible as I write this message.

4. Armiris

Armiris

Have you tried different monitors? And I mean some video games can permanantly mess up your settings.

5. Nishantm

Nishantm Thread Starter

It was world Of Warcraft, I have had it running for 3 years and it never caused a problem like this, I will go try out a different monitor now just to make sure.

6. Armiris

Armiris

The only times that type of thing happens is when my computer is switching between different video modes.

7. Nishantm

Nishantm Thread Starter

it is indeed the video card, switching monitors did not help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice