1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wierd Routing Problem trying to find local router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by richrock, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. richrock

richrock Thread Starter

Hi all, hope you can help me out before I lose all my hair!

I've got a Draytek Virgo2500 router, which we use to connect to a larger LAN, with a Bullion Router (model unknown). So:

We have 4 pc's in a LAN connected to the Draytek, static IP's, etc. The Draytek is connected to the Bullion Router.

When I type the usual IP's 192.168.1.1, etc, I get nothing. Our gateway is 192.168.167.1xx and that actually connects to the 2nd router, not ours.

I unplugged the second router to try and access my Draytek - no dice. How do I get access to my router?

I need access as we are expanding our network, and are putting a server and switch into the system. But I need to check and change some config settings on the router first.

Infuriating. :mad:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, first off, why not use a switch instead of a router? What is the router doing for you?

3. richrock

richrock Thread Starter

The router also acts as a hardware firewall against everyone else in our building (leased office).

We will have a switch after the server for our machines.

HTH

Rich

PS - still no closer... yet!

4. JohnWill

OK, so you just want Internet access and no access to anything on the main network?

Connect one machine directly to the building network and post this. Then connect that machine to the router properly configured the way you think it should be and do it again.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Something is messed up in how this network is set up or you're not getting the full picture of how things are connecting.

If you are using the Draytek as your firewall to segregate traffic from the rest of the building LAN infrastructure, you shouldn't be able to get to the Bullion Router on 192.168.167.1xx directly unless you are routing through your Draytekc with your Draytek being the 192.168.167.1xx address and the Bullion router on some unknown subnet on the outside of the Draytek. If you are operating on the 192.168.1.x subnet and using the customary /24 subnet mask, you can't get to the Bullion router or whatever device you are hitting on 192.168.167.1xx without having to go through some sort of router.

We need to know the exact subnet you are using for your private addresses to further figure out what is going on here.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the Draytek router's Dhcp server is enabled you can connect a PC to it with its connection properties set to obtain a dynamic IP configuration; then look at the Gateway address for the router's LAN address.

Otherwise, you'll probably have to reset the Draytek to factory default settings if it no longer has the default LAN IP address.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    zx10guy is right on; unless the static IPs assigned to the computers are 192.168.167.x. Then, I think, anything meant for the Gateway will go to the Draytek. The Draytek's LAN will not know anything about that address so will "throw it over the wall" to the WAN. And the WAN side will know exactly where it goes--onward to the "parent" router.

8. JohnWill

Actually, you can access a router through another one. I have the Actiontec MI424WR that Verizon gave me connected to the FiOS service so the TV guides and on-demand works. That router is on 192.168.1.1, and my router in front of it uses 192.168.0,1. I have no issue connecting to the web setup of the Actiontec through the other router.

9. zx10guy

Never said you can't access a router through another router. But to do so you are routing through one router to get access to another subnet which both routers share in common. There's no other way for this to happen unless you are using a subnet mask which makes the 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x address all one network (ie any subnet mask of a /23 or lower.)

In the OP's example, there's just too much information missing to make an assessment on what is wrong. It's either a physical wiring issue or misunderstanding of how IP subnetting works.

10. JohnWill

I'll buy that we need more information. :) I guess I'm not sure what you were trying to say in your previous message, it was a little dense. :D

11. zx10guy

Well, here's another way to repeat what I said in my first post. The OP is trying to get to 192.168.1.1 which is the Draytek router he is trying to set up and is the firewall which is supposed to segregate traffic for his segment. The Bullion router is what allows connectivity to the rest of the network/internet(maybe). The Bullion is on this IP 192.168.167.1xx. So if he is trying to get to 192.168.1.1, that implies he is on the 192.168.1.0 subnet. This means the Bullion router is not on his subnet assuming a /24 subnet mask. So the only way for the OP to get to the Bullion router is by some router which I assume is via the Draytek firewall/router. The OP is attempting to get to the Draytek on 192.168.1.1 but doesn't say he's getting a password prompt. Based on what is said, there seems to be no connectivity there. The OP goes on to say he unplugged the connection to the Bullion router to see if he can get connectivity to the Draytek. Why is the OP doing this? This leads me to one of my assumptions that there might be a wiring error which is further reinforced by the statement that their gateway is 192.168.167.1xx. Why would that be his gateway if he's trying to get to his Draytek router at 192.168.1.1? So again, either there's a messed up wiring setup going on here or some sort of issue/misunderstanding of the subnetting of the networks.

12. JohnWill

OK, I get it. :D You're right, that does seem odd...

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I certainly agree that the configuration seems odd and that we need more information.

But also suggest that my assumption that the 4 computers are assigned Gateway 192.168.167.1xx and IPs in the same subnet explain why he cannot access the Draytek's LAN of 192.168.1.y.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice