1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wierdest problem with a file on the drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chernobyl, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chernobyl

chernobyl Thread Starter

For the longest time now I have had a file on one of my drives that just wont delete. I have tried it delete it with the command prompt and in safe mode as ofcourse i have in regular mode, but i allways get a file can not be delete b/c it is in use, message. This is impossible since the file is a starwars avi LOL. I know it is not in use. The other wierd thing is that after I get this message and i click ok and give up, "explorer" starts to get very sluggish and often freezes up (this is weindows xp btw). Ive run virus scans, adaware scans etc, so i doubt its a virus. Anyone have any idea what could be the problem? I dont know if it matters but the file has a pretty long name ( a sentence long). :eek:

2. techy689

techy689

well windows xp does have an issue that it sometimes doesn't allow you to delete files... most of the time it's because file cannot be accessed, but in your case since it says file in use, u most likely will be able to delete this. There a couple of different things you can do, but let's first try this:

open up task manager > go to processes > and close explorer.exe

then in task manager click file new task (run) and type in explorer.exe

then try to delete the file... if this does not work well try another thing

3. 1101doc

1101doc

Are you sure it's not "starware?" Have you googled the "sentence?"
    Unlocker
    Killbox
    MoveOnBoot
    all freeware designed to help with this type of problem.

4. chernobyl

chernobyl Thread Starter

HOLY CRAP, I cant believe googleing it never occured to me! :eek: Its is infact malware, though Im not sure what exaclty it did, no one seems to have a real idea. It dosnt come up on adaware, norton, scans. I also run a software firewall, so I assume I am ok? Should I assume this? I never got any wierd prompts about anything unrecognized accessing the network.

Anyway I finally deleted the file with HijackThis (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/hijackthis.php), it has a utility that deletes such a file during a shutdown.

THANKS for the tip! :D

5. 1101doc

1101doc

No one antimalware utility has ever[yet] been shown to find/remove all problems although some are much better than others. This is a serious consideration for us all these days. The "Security" section of this and other forums provide excellent advice and resources to help us all keep our systems clean and protected.

6. rude

rude

If the file is in fact an avi file , you might try this fix XP holds files in it's memory even after you have closed the application using them making it impossible to delete them from your harddrive. To fix this:

Start -> Run -> Regedit
    Find the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler\ directory and delete the "DEFAULT" key.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice