1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wife still can't start word 2003 right but I can

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Tom Seeley, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley Thread Starter

I'm still having trouble making MS Word 2003 start properly when my wife logs onto our home computer as a limited user. I'm an administrator, and it starts properly when I click on the shortcut. But when she clicks on it (or I do, having logged on as her, with myself logged out), it pops up a Windows Installer window that says "preparing to install". After a few seconds, that window grays itself out, and then after a few more seconds it disappears completely, and we have a clean desktop. The pointer is the usual arrow, not an hourglass. It will stay that way for two minutes (I timed it!) until eventually Word will start and show the usual first screen. AFter that, it works fine, but that can't be how it's supposed to work!

I used control panel/remove to completely remove MS Office 2003 and then did a complete new "typical" install, with myself logged on as administrator, and with her logged off. No help...

Any suggestions?

Also, no offense intended but could someone pls give me the URL for the MS Office support message boards? Or microsoft in general? I tried their home page and all I got was a bunch of self-help KB docs which didn't help. I've used support forums before, but I never bookmarked them and I can't find them. Google didn't help, either.

Thx:(

2. johnni

johnni

3. Tom Seeley

Thx Johnni, but I don't have a file on my machine anywhere called gpedit.msc. I searched for gpedit.* and came up blank.

I ran mmc.exe but none of the screens or titles Blink182's message to you were there.

guess I gotta keep trying.

Thx again for trying to help.

4. johnni

johnni

I assume you understand you weren't supposed to look for those files but go to Start, Run, and type the names in (one at a time!) and then click OK which should bring up a dialog box. As you will note only one of these produced a result for me, the other was an empty box. I was thinking you should do this when your wife is logged-in. I don't know what op. system you use but Blink's solution worked with my XP Pro.

johnni

5. eathen

eathen

Try running the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;290301. In your wife's account.
    What happens if you create a dummy account and try to launch Ms Word from it.
    Or Delete her account and create a new one. But make sure to save her document/folders.

6. Tom Seeley

Well, I just learned one important thing: my profile isn't the same as my signature! No wonder no one knew what op system, etc., I'm running! I've just copied that info to my signature, in hope that that heads off some of the queries I've gotten!

Short answer: Windows XP Home, SP1

Can't install SP2 right either, but that's a different and as yet unsolved thread!

7. ChuckE

ChuckE

Just a Tip! when searching for file, do NOT include the extension when searching.
    Instead of searching for gpedit.* just search for gpedit

By not including an extension you are increasing your possibilities of finding a file. Sure, your gpedit.* search is going to find any file that is named gpedit (only) with any extension, such as gpedit.exe or gpedit.msi or gpedit.dll, etc. But that that particular search will NOT FIND gpedits.exe or gpedit.old.msi or gpedit-whatever.dll, for example.

Instead, just search for the filename and do not include any extension. By you NOT using any wildcard characters Windows XP will automatically assume wildcards on either end of the name you are searching for. Essentially it is searching for *gpedit*.*
    (Note: if you do place a wildcard character in your search field then you are taking the responsibility of knowing exactly how you want the name search wildcarding to be handled.)

Here's another example... let's say I was looking for a Word doc named (I think it is named) whatever-something.doc. Sure, I could just search for exactly whatever-something.doc, but what if I am wrong with the name, and instead it is named somethingwhatever.doc or whatever-something.zip or whatever-something.xls or something-whatever123.txt

So, if I just change my search and just search for something or whatever, no extensions, not even the complete name, I will find it in all those cases.

Using the wildcard characters (such as * or ?) was necessary in earlier versions of Windows and DOS, it is not needed now, nor is it recommended (by me).

Save a few keystrokes! live a bit longer! leave the wildcard characters off unless you really, really need them (yes, there is still a need, but not often).

8. Tom Seeley

Thx for the suggestion re wild cards! I didn't know I was being counterproductive to do it the way I did!

That having been said, I did what you suggested and it still didn't pop up. I searched hidden and system, etc. Is it part of XP Pro only? Or should it indeed be included in either Windows Home Ed SP1 or Office 2003 Standard, which are all I've got?

In any event, she only bugs me about this about twice a year, and then gives up, so I may do so also! This is getting way harder than it's worth, despite all the valuable help you and others have provided! No offense intended at all to you and the others who have tried to help me!

9. ChuckE

ChuckE

Upon searching for what gpedit is, it is the Group Policy Editor.

Here is what I found out somewhat about it:
    "GPEDIT.MSC (Group Policy Editor) isn't available on XP Home Edition, partly because XP Home cannot join a domain by design. Although the tool is designed to be used in an Enterprise environment running Active Directory, all it really does is make registry entries ..."

I noticed that your sig states that you are running XP Home. Perhaps that is your issue in not being able to locate it.

You might want to research the purpose of the Group Policy Editor, and once you learn that, you should be able to duplicate those actions via your control panel applets.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice