1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wife unable to log into PC

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by jb59, May 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jb59

jb59 Thread Starter

My wife's desktop pc runs Windows 8.1. She attempted to boot this systems into safe mode in order to run a rare virus scan in this mode. Somehow, (I'm not sure just how), she forgot her account.live password. When she clicked the "forgot password link" and had a code sent to her cell phone, we discovered that her Dell Inspiron one 2020 lost its internet connection. I have a laptop (on this same network) but it runs WIndows 7 and I have no experience having to log into account.live, each time I want to log onto my computer. And I am accessing the internet just fine as I type this dilemma.

Prior to this problem, I was unaware that even she had to log into account.live each time either.

Long story short, can anyone recommend how she can unlock her pc as resetting her password via an alternate measure allowed by Microsoft - does not work.

Thanks very much for any assistance with this.

Joe

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I assume you have a router. How is her PC attempting to connect to it? If by Wi-Fi, try ethernet.

3. jb59

jb59 Thread Starter

Yes- WiFi

I'm not sure how to do this without logging into the pc

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Because the ethernet connection is disabled? That would be a serious block.

This is just one of the minor reasons I refuse to use an email account for a computer account login.

5. jb59

jb59 Thread Starter

Yes. I'm not sure how to rectify the internet problem unless I log in (which I can't do).

I agree. I wasn't aware this was a prerequisite of Windows 8. I now know I'll never own Windows 8.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's not required, but Microsoft makes it difficult to use only a local account. The easiest way to avoid it initially is to not have internet access during the initial Windows 8 or 8.1 setup.

7. jb59

jb59 Thread Starter

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier just to ask if there's a guaranteed way to reboot this computer so it boots up with the networking available.

My wife initially was attempting to reboot into safe mode and when she did so - she opted out of networking. I wasn't with her when she did this. This is just what she told me.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm sure (well, 99% sure) that at least ethernet would be available provided the ethernet adapter is not defective and provided that the ethernet connection has not been disabled by a user.

9. Tabvla

Tabvla

Whether one uses a Local or a Microsoft account to login to a computer is largely a matter of personal preference. The way I have setup my personal computers is to have 2 accounts. The one account is a Standard user and is a Microsoft account. The other is an Administrator and is a Local account.

The Standard user (Microsoft account) I use for all normal daily work on the computers. The Administrator (Local account) I use only for administration tasks.

For the way that I use my computers this is the perfect setup because it gives me instant access to my Outlook.com account - and everything associated with it. It also provides me a resilient environment because should anything go wrong with the Microsoft login account I can always login via the Administrator account and fix it.

I have a completely separate email account (not outlook.com) that I use for the receipt of Microsoft security codes.

For my purposes I have found the above setup to be practical, secure, easy to manage and perhaps above all - productive.

T.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  10. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I see the easier answer unless I am missing something - being to connect it to a hard wired Ethernet connection and then use the code sent by Microsoft, although by now you will probably have to request another code, but try it first before doing so

As indeed my colleague TerryNet has suggested on post 8

11. Tabvla

Tabvla

Agree 100%.

In a test environment I have tried very hard to break a Microsoft account (Outlook.com) and User Login. So far I have not succeeded. I am finding it hard to understand what the OP's wife could have done to break this. There is something missing in the original Post. I would really like to know what was done because I would like to try and recreate that in my test environment and then look for a way of fixing it.

T.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In Network Connections disable the ethernet and Wi-Fi connections. Shut down the PC. Using another device change the password of the Microsoft account that is used for the PC login. Boot the PC and try to login being sure to forget the old password.

13. Tabvla

Tabvla

But the OP's wife didn't do that..... or at least that is not what the OP wrote.

So the connection to the Internet is fine, so that is not the problem. How does the Dell suddenly and permanently lose its Internet connection..? It would seem an unbelievable coincidence for the NIC to go faulty at the same time as the OP's wife forgets the password. That is what I mean by "...something missing in the original Post...".

And lastly.... the OP still has not said whether they have tried connecting by Ethernet as you suggested way back in Post #2. In Post #5 the OP answered your question (I think) by saying "Yes" to the Ethernet connection being disabled. Really...? That seems a little odd. Ethernet is enabled by default. Is the OP saying that at some time in the past they actually went into Network Connections and disabled the Ethernet connection..?

The OP does not seem to be a very technical person and it just seems unexpected that a non-technical person would make that kind of change to a system.

I still think that there is something missing.

T.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You, Tabvla, wanted to set up a test environment. I gave you a summary of what I understand from the thread. If "the connection to the Internet is fine" there is no problem--they just use the newly assigned password.

I would not have responded to your post except for the remote possibility that you may uncover something if you test the situation.

For the above I'm wearing my regular member's hat. For the following sentence I'm wearing my moderator's hat. I think that you need to keep your opinion about the Thread Starter's perceived faults to yourself.

15. Tabvla

Tabvla

I understand that and I thank you for your reply. But a test is only valid if one can recreate step-by-step what occurred to create the problem in the first instance. For that I was hoping that the OP may have another think about what occurred prior to the event and if possible provide additional information.

I really have no idea what you are referring to. Perhaps you have interpreted something I wrote in a manner different to the intention. So if you would like to elaborate in a PM I would be more than happy to read what you have to say and respond appropriately through the PM channel.

T.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!