WIFE'S PC dead in the water.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jasonrosegiese

Well it's the wife's pc this time.

FIC VX-98
pentium mmx @200
64 mB ram
2 - 2 gig ibm hdd's
funky old compaq PCI video card

I'm just trying to learn what died.

When I power it up, the power light and the hdd light come on , but nothing happens. It doesn't even try to access the floppy, so I can't do any kind of emergency boot. No beeps, no nothing.
I'm thinking the mobo laid itself to rest, but not sure.
Any ideas??

It may be the power supply has gone bad. It can work enough to power the lights but nothing else. Or the memory has gone south, less likely.

jasonrosegiese

Now that I examine it closer, it is only a 165W power supply, I have a working 250W. I'll try it, and post back.

jasonrosegiese

Just to give you guys some more info, I was trying to recover some info from her hdd's, and it's not working. My pc won't detect her C drive. It detects her D drive, but only if it's hooked up alone, if you put it inline with the C drive, it doesn't detect either. Does this mean the C drive is shot?? And even if it is, shouldn't her pc still boot part way??

even if the hdd is shot or at least a partition of it is the pc should run through POST and the BIOS should still come up.

to narrow it down disconnect everything but the cpu from the mb and power it up. if it still doesn't go through POST(the beeping) then either the cpu or mb is shot. chances are if the mb powers up the cpu fan then the cpu is bad. if it does go through POST then start adding the parts back one by one turning the pc on and off with the addition of each piece. so if it beeps then add the ram and then if that works then add the vid card adding the hdd last since u already know there's a prob with it

hope i could help

jeff

Do you have the drive jumpers set correctly? Also what make is the drive and how old is it? Some older drives don't like to share resources and you have to place them on different IDE channels.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online