1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wife's user account wiped and restored to default settings!?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DearJamie, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DearJamie

DearJamie Thread Starter

I run windows xp and have user accounts for myself, my wife and the 2 children. Both my wife's account and mine are set as administrators.

This morning both my wife and I logged on to our accounts and all was fine. We then logged off and shut down the PC. This afternoon my wife logged on and her entire account has been wiped. None of her settings or documents are there. The language had changed back to US (meaning the keyboard typed like a US one which it did when we first installed windows XP), her outlook was not configured, the IE webpage was not set to the homepage she created, all docs gone from my documents folder. It was as if the account had just been created.

When she first logged in a small grey box came up on the top left of the screen that said something like "trying to connect to..." or "searching for..." and then a larger grey box came in the middle and she cannot remember what this said. She was worried it was some sort of virus so after a few minutes of nothing happening, and trying to log into her email which asked for outlook to be set up, she shut down.

Both my account and the kids accounts have all their settings as they should. All my wife's docs have gone but all shared docs still remain.

We have an up to date version of Kaspersky and I just completed a full system scan and it didn't find anything.

Biggest concern is that all emails and documents have been lost on my wife's account (I know she should have backed up...) but the question is why has this happened and how can we find all the docs etc that must be there somewhere?

I've tried to google this but have found no similar problems. Please help!

2. kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Can you find her profile folder?

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\ as the administrator and try to see if her user name is listed as a folder there.

Then report back here.

3. DearJamie

DearJamie Thread Starter

Hi - yes her user profile is there.

Last night, after a bit more googling, I managed to save all her documents to another folder (and back them up!) to ensure they weren't lost.

Just need to get the emails back now.

Jamie.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1003574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice