1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wifi adapter invisible!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ej, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ej

ej Thread Starter

:mad: Hi, I'm working on a friends new hp pavillion dv9008nr, for some strange reason the sales guy didn't inform them they had a builtin broadcom wifi adapter, so they also bought a linksys usb wifi. Now she claims she cannot get on the internet. I took the until home and disabled the usb adapter, rebooted in safe mode with networking and managed to get the internal broadcom card connected to the wifi net. BUT on reboot it won't stay visible in the network connections. It doesn't show in the device manager. system reports says:

Item Value
    Name [00000001] Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
    Adapter Type Not Available
    Product Type Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
    Installed Yes
    PNP Device ID Not Available
    Last Reset 7/21/2007 7:16 AM
    Index 1
    Service Name BCM43XX
    IP Address Not Available
    IP Subnet Not Available
    Default IP Gateway Not Available
    DHCP Enabled Yes
    DHCP Server Not Available
    DHCP Lease Expires Not Available
    DHCP Lease Obtained Not Available
    MAC Address Not Available

any help much appreciated on how to get this thing to stay on!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If it doesn't show up in device manager, does an "unknown" device show up? Are you sure the switch for the adapter is on, on the HP 9000 series, I think it's along the edge of the keyboard. That's where it is on my HP DV9207US laptop.

Also, boot and enter the BIOS and see if the wireless adapter is enabled in the BIOS.

3. ej

ej Thread Starter

I found the switch, it slides to the right to be on right? I went into device manger and selected to show hidden devices, now i can see the broadcom adapter as a packet scheduler minport?? take a look at this attachment, should I disable these others???

Attached Files:

4. JohnWill

Why are all those devices disabled? To start, try enabling all those devices and see if that helps.

5. ej

ej Thread Starter

I disabled them just now, thinking they may be conflicting with the broadcom, didn't help, any other ideas?

6. JohnWill

Well, that's not the problem, that's just creating potential new problems.

I'd start by reloading the drivers for the wireless NIC. It may also be defective if it's not switched off.

You may need to talk to HP tech support.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/598568

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice