1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WiFi adapter problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Vatueil, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vatueil

Vatueil Thread Starter

So I have an optic fibre at home and it gave me no problems on my old computer, running Windows 7. I recently got a new one, now it's running Windows 8.1 and also here are the complete stats:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8149 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 511648 MB, Free - 415484 MB; D: Total - 1395727 MB, Free - 696634 MB;
    Motherboard: ASRock, 990FX Extreme3
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

The problem I have is that when I start using the internet on wireless heavily (like say, downloading at a speed of 4 megabytes per second), the computer loses connection with the WiFi adapter - I have a TP - Link TL-WN823N adapter which according to Microsoft compatibility checker is supposed to work OK with Windows 8.1, though I know that those compatibility checks aren't always very good. What happens is that - say - when I am downloading a game, it would periodically disconnect when it's downloading at a high speed and then reconnect automatically, although some times I would have to plug it and unplug it. Any ideas why would this happen? A while ago I had some problems with USB devices in general - like all of them would some times lose connection, but then I changed my old adapter to this one (the old one kept disconnecting too) and now it only happens with the adapter, and while downloading stuff at high speed, which is not too bad when it's Steam because you can limit download speeds, but with things like UPlay, sadly you can't. So any ideas what may be causing this?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. Vatueil

Vatueil Thread Starter

I did. I also unchecked the bit in the device manager which allows the system to put the device to sleep.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what version of driver is in the adapter?

also service tag number

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1118465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice