1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wifi adaptor not recognized, usb wifi hogging wifi resources

Discussion in 'Networking' started by yamakazee, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yamakazee

yamakazee Thread Starter

recently i was having major computer issues on my desktop, i did a full restore to factory settings and after doing a few windows updates i found that my network adaptor was not finding any signals. it does not show up in the change adaptor settings page or in the device manager page. when i troubleshoot my internet connection it says an ethernet cable is not properly plugged in. I have a desktop computer but it definately has a wireless network card. i used to get windows updates for it and it just stopped working one day. when i look in the BIOS the only option related to booting a network card is B03 D00 Yukon PXE. no matter when i boot it i still dont get wireless signals. when i go into the boot menu and try to boot this device it says " PXE E61: media test failure please check cable" i have opened the tower and the card is securely in its slot. i thought i would workaround by getting a usb wifi card. I installed it and connected to the internet and it alternated between having a connection to the internet and being connected to the network but not the internet. even when it is connected to the internet i cannot reach any web pages. my dropbox desktop files update very slowly (7kb/s). when i am connected with the usb card the network stops working for everyone else in the house. they can no longer reach web pages or continue downloads. please help.

gateway DX4300
    AMD Phenom II X4 810 processor 2.60 GHz
    8.00 GB DDRII RAM
    windows 7 home premium

EDIT: additionally nothing shows up when i scan with avast antivirus

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    as you have reset to factor condition, its possible that you need the drivers for the hardware devices on the pc

Remove the USB wireless adapter and now
    can we see a device manager screen shot

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Device Manager

Please Post back the results in device manager as requested below

You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC.
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the screen shot and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.
    If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply

how to access device manager for different windows versions
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000833.htm

Hold the Windows key and press Pause key, should open to allow device manager to be seen, see the menu on the left hand side

on a laptop you may need to use Hold the Windows key and press FN key + the pause key

If the above does not work then

For Windows 7 or Vista
    Click on the Start Orb > In the Start Search box type > device manager and then press enter
    or
    Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

Once you are in device manager then navigate to:

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices that are listed under network adapters
    are there any yellow ! ? or a X​

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window.

For windows Vista or Windows 7
    you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

3. yamakazee

yamakazee Thread Starter

heres the picture you asked for

Attached Files:

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    theres no wireless being seen by windows on that PC

and you say it does have a wireless adapter in the desktop. can you confirm it worked on wireless before you re-formatted

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you remove and replace it (to fix any potential corrosion of the contacts)?

6. yamakazee

yamakazee Thread Starter

it did work after i reformatted, i connected it to the internet by sharing the wireless connection on my laptop and sending it through an ethernet cable. i got a windows update that included an update for the wireless card. the wireless worked and then i did another update and i got another update for the wireless card, i restarted and the wireless stopped working.

i did not remove the card but it did work at one point after the restore so i dont see why that would be necessary

EDIT: I misread, it worked for about 2 years before i reformatted as well

7. yamakazee

yamakazee Thread Starter

i restored my computer and found that the adaptor wasnt working or in device manager, i opened the computer, disconnected the wifi card and reconnected. i put it all back together and this time it found the card and it worked, i tried to connect to a network and it repeatedly said it couldnt. the computer came with 2 antenna which the computer needed to connect to the internet when i first got it, i plugged the first in and it was fine, i plugged the second one in and tried to connect to a network, this time the device turned off and didnt turn back on, i went into device manager and found this (see images). what do i do?

Attached Files:

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    A Code 10 error is generated when Device Manager can't start the hardware device, a situation usually caused by outdated, corrupted drivers.
    It maybe a faulty wireless card

did you actually remove the card completely

does the unit have two separate connectors for both these aerials ?
    usually you would have both connected.

have you actually re-installed the wireless driver

when you purchased the PC - did it come with the wireless adapter - or did you purchase separate ?
    teh spec does not include a wireless card
    http://support.gateway.com/s/desktop/2009/gateway/dx/dx4300/DX4300sp2.shtml

if purchased separately - what was the manufacturers make and model
    I can only see a RTL8190-GR

9. yamakazee

yamakazee Thread Starter

i completely removed the card, it has 2 seperate connections, when the driver downloaded it also installed through windows update. the card came with the computer, a lot of the parts in the computer appear to not have brand names, the wifi card included unless that realtek tag in the second picture means it was made by realtek

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if the card came with the pc - whats the make and exact model of the PC

11. yamakazee

yamakazee Thread Starter

It says in my original post, gateway DX4300

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    they have two drivers here
    http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=2283

The Wireless LAN Driver Pro-Nets 6.1061.0926.2008 261.9 KB 07/02/2010
    shows as a
    ;; Realtek RTL8190 802.11n PCI/Cardbus Wireless LAN Network Interface Cards.

is the one you want to use
    download and install that driver

> Start Globe
    > Control Panel
    > System and maintenance
    > Scroll down to Device manager
    > network adaptors, click on the + >
    > Right click on the wireless Adapter
    > click on Update Driver Software...
    > click on Browse my computer for driver software
    > let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
    > Have Disk
    > click on the Button Browse...
    > Locate the folder you extracted the zip folder and highlight the .inf file
    you should see two files with .inf
    net180p.inf

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1115445

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice